The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting prior to FF

Default Hunting prior to FF

Is there any harm in getting your dog in the field with you while hunting before they are FF. I have been told by many that you should get your dog out with you as much as possible, some say otherwise. Any and all opinions are welcome not looking to start a fight between the non-FFer and the FFers
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them- Thomas Jefferson.

--Quackhunter--

How old is your pup?
    Home To

HRCH Bluesky's Rollin Thunder MH
    Bluesky's Hot Bunn's Ellie
    SHR Saddiehawkins of Summer Bird 1998-2011
    SHR Bluesky's Some like em Hot 2009-2010 Left too soon

11 months.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them- Thomas Jefferson.

--Quackhunter--

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Capozzi View Post
    Is there any harm in getting your dog in the field with you while hunting before they are FF. I have been told by many that you should get your dog out with you as much as possible, some say otherwise. Any and all opinions are welcome not looking to start a fight between the non-FFer and the FFers

What do you plan on doing if the dog gets to a duck, sniffs at it but refuses to pick it up ? I am all for bringing a dog hunting but I see so many people get so impatient and jump the gun and bring a dog out hunting BEFORE its ready and then wonder why they have problems later....

Has your dog ever had shotgun go off right next to him, has your dog ever seen a dead duck, or even a live shackled duck?
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

well i actually took him dove hunting and he did very well. Retrieved all of the birds. He has been exposed to dead ducks and real ducks, i have shot with him heeled next to me since the day i got him and it doesnt bother him one bit. When i took him out last time he retrieved 4 ducks, once i had to throw a rock next to the bird, for him to see it.

--Quackhunter--

What program due you intend to use? I was wondering what you were waiting for on beginning FF. If he is reliable to retrieve, staying put until sent and not disturbing the hunt I say it would be fine. Have fun with your pup. I would also say get started with a program so ya don"t have to throw rocks to get your dog to the bird.
    Home To

HRCH Bluesky's Rollin Thunder MH
    Bluesky's Hot Bunn's Ellie
    SHR Saddiehawkins of Summer Bird 1998-2011
    SHR Bluesky's Some like em Hot 2009-2010 Left too soon

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Thompson1 View Post
    What program due you intend to use? I was wondering what you were waiting for on beginning FF. If he is reliable to retrieve, staying put until sent and not disturbing the hunt I say it would be fine. Have fun with your pup. I would also say get started with a program so ya don"t have to throw rocks to get your dog to the bird.
    I have been using a Dokkens Retriever training. Mainly for OB. I keep him on the check cord but he will sit right next to me until sent. Granted after about 2 hours he gets a little restless but so do I.

--Quackhunter--

You will get a different opinions here. I am no expert and have only trained 2 dogs and am still learning. I took both of them out before they were FF and I do not believe it did any harm. The biggest thing is to not expect what the dog is not prepared to do. If he sniffs a bird and walks away its not the end of the world. You will have FF later but don't get mad or try to make him fetch it up at this point. walk out there get the bird and get excited toss it for him just like introducing him to it for the first time. Its a new experience and in my uneducated opinion the more you expose a dog to real hunting the better hunting dog you will have in the end as long as you don't expect him to do what he is not ready to do. Again I am no expert but I have two dogs that I am very proud to hunt over and both were out before they were FF

artner24 X 10!

"taking a dog before he is ready" ?
    BonMallari,
    If there is a problem, please explain to me the pitfalls you are referring to. It is supposed to be fun for the first year! As long as the handler maintains control during a hunt, what else is possible ? It is given that the pup has been exposed to gunshots, birds, decoys, boats...etc, but all of that should have been done by 5 months of age. I have never experienced problems from taking young dogs hunting before they became a "finished Dog". Have seen other folks here comment on "taking a dog before he is ready" , just want to understand what they mean. JB

I hunt my pups as soon as they are used to gunshot, retrieve wingclip birds and will come when called. Don't expect alot and make it a puppy hunt. I got the dog to hunt. Why wouldn't I? HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/