Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting prior to FF

Quote Originally Posted by sportnclays View Post
    artner24 X 10!

"taking a dog before he is ready" ?
    BonMallari,
    If there is a problem, please explain to me the pitfalls you are referring to. It is supposed to be fun for the first year! As long as the handler maintains control during a hunt, what else is possible ? It is given that the pup has been exposed to gunshots, birds, decoys, boats...etc, but all of that should have been done by 5 months of age. I have never experienced problems from taking young dogs hunting before they became a "finished Dog". Have seen other folks here comment on "taking a dog before he is ready" , just want to understand what they mean. JB
    one common theme I see with people taking a dog hunting before they are ready is due to the shooting sequence itself...picture this: birds are locked and approaching,the dog hears the safety going click, and then the hunter stands up to shoot...many times a young unsteady pup will be halfway through the decoys waiting to catch the duck as it falls....in training you stand perfectly still next to your dog, in hunting you do everything but stand still...habits that are allowed while hunting are sometimes hard to train out of later
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I see, it is more of a steadiness issue. In duck/goose hunting, I would have to say that is my biggest peeve. Someone who will not control a breaking dog, is by far the most common problem I see. However, it is not with young dogs that this shows up the most, it comes back to a higher expectation, or lack thereof, from a hunter. (training to a higher level). Thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    many times a young unsteady pup will be halfway through the decoys waiting to catch the duck as it falls...

That's what the Rope's For LOL
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

If the dog has good OB and you take the time to uphold that standard I think it would be ok. BUT if you let the dog get away with some things that may create bad habits then you have a problem.
    HRCH Mt. Holly "SKyler" Blue SH 500 HRC pts. club

HRCH Mt. Holly Thunder and Lightning "Storm" MH 500 pts. club, Grand pass

www.robrobertsgunworks.com

Thank you everyone for your comments this is exactly what i was looking for. When the pup joins me duck hunting i keep him attached to the lead which is attached to my belt. Is is actually very steady to the shot. He has been exposed to everything mentioned above and then some. The only problem i have had is on long swimming retrieves he will kinda forget where the bird is, given its not still flopping. I just throw a rock and he retrieved that bird. Thanks again for your comments.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them- Thomas Jefferson.

--Quackhunter--

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Capozzi View Post
    Thank you everyone for your comments this is exactly what i was looking for. When the pup joins me duck hunting i keep him attached to the lead which is attached to my belt. Is is actually very steady to the shot. He has been exposed to everything mentioned above and then some. The only problem i have had is on long swimming retrieves he will kinda forget where the bird is, given its not still flopping. I just throw a rock and he retrieved that bird. Thanks again for your comments.
    Bolding mine.

May I respectfully say this is super dangerous.... expecially if you hunt with some one. Picture dog breaking right when you take a shot.....

Tie to a tree or tie out stake instead.
    ~ Linda ~
    Kasomor NSDTR
    www.kasomor.com
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    CH Westerlea's Kasomor Trio SH WCX CDX
    OTCH CH Kasomor's Wack 'Em N Stack 'Em SH WCX

Good idea, thank you.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them- Thomas Jefferson.

--Quackhunter--

Creating bad habbits by hunting early that will take a lifetime for you to work out with the dog. Is it worth it?