RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Hunting prior to FF

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Joseph Kendrick 
#1 ·
Is there any harm in getting your dog in the field with you while hunting before they are FF. I have been told by many that you should get your dog out with you as much as possible, some say otherwise. Any and all opinions are welcome not looking to start a fight between the non-FFer and the FFers

#4 ·
What do you plan on doing if the dog gets to a duck, sniffs at it but refuses to pick it up ? I am all for bringing a dog hunting but I see so many people get so impatient and jump the gun and bring a dog out hunting BEFORE its ready and then wonder why they have problems later....

Has your dog ever had shotgun go off right next to him, has your dog ever seen a dead duck, or even a live shackled duck?

#5 ·
well i actually took him dove hunting and he did very well. Retrieved all of the birds. He has been exposed to dead ducks and real ducks, i have shot with him heeled next to me since the day i got him and it doesnt bother him one bit. When i took him out last time he retrieved 4 ducks, once i had to throw a rock next to the bird, for him to see it.

#6 ·
What program due you intend to use? I was wondering what you were waiting for on beginning FF. If he is reliable to retrieve, staying put until sent and not disturbing the hunt I say it would be fine. Have fun with your pup. I would also say get started with a program so ya don"t have to throw rocks to get your dog to the bird.

#7 ·
I have been using a Dokkens Retriever training. Mainly for OB. I keep him on the check cord but he will sit right next to me until sent. Granted after about 2 hours he gets a little restless but so do I.

#8 ·
You will get a different opinions here. I am no expert and have only trained 2 dogs and am still learning. I took both of them out before they were FF and I do not believe it did any harm. The biggest thing is to not expect what the dog is not prepared to do. If he sniffs a bird and walks away its not the end of the world. You will have FF later but don't get mad or try to make him fetch it up at this point. walk out there get the bird and get excited toss it for him just like introducing him to it for the first time. Its a new experience and in my uneducated opinion the more you expose a dog to real hunting the better hunting dog you will have in the end as long as you don't expect him to do what he is not ready to do. Again I am no expert but I have two dogs that I am very proud to hunt over and both were out before they were FF

#9 ·
artner24 X 10!

"taking a dog before he is ready" ?
BonMallari,
If there is a problem, please explain to me the pitfalls you are referring to. It is supposed to be fun for the first year! As long as the handler maintains control during a hunt, what else is possible ? It is given that the pup has been exposed to gunshots, birds, decoys, boats...etc, but all of that should have been done by 5 months of age. I have never experienced problems from taking young dogs hunting before they became a "finished Dog". Have seen other folks here comment on "taking a dog before he is ready" , just want to understand what they mean. JB

#11 ·
one common theme I see with people taking a dog hunting before they are ready is due to the shooting sequence itself...picture this: birds are locked and approaching,the dog hears the safety going click, and then the hunter stands up to shoot...many times a young unsteady pup will be halfway through the decoys waiting to catch the duck as it falls....in training you stand perfectly still next to your dog, in hunting you do everything but stand still...habits that are allowed while hunting are sometimes hard to train out of later

#13 ·
many times a young unsteady pup will be halfway through the decoys waiting to catch the duck as it falls...

That's what the Rope's For LOL ;)

#12 ·
I see, it is more of a steadiness issue. In duck/goose hunting, I would have to say that is my biggest peeve. Someone who will not control a breaking dog, is by far the most common problem I see. However, it is not with young dogs that this shows up the most, it comes back to a higher expectation, or lack thereof, from a hunter. (training to a higher level). Thanks for the explanation.

#14 ·
If the dog has good OB and you take the time to uphold that standard I think it would be ok. BUT if you let the dog get away with some things that may create bad habits then you have a problem.

#15 ·
Thank you everyone for your comments this is exactly what i was looking for. When the pup joins me duck hunting i keep him attached to the lead which is attached to my belt. Is is actually very steady to the shot. He has been exposed to everything mentioned above and then some. The only problem i have had is on long swimming retrieves he will kinda forget where the bird is, given its not still flopping. I just throw a rock and he retrieved that bird. Thanks again for your comments.

#16 ·
Thank you everyone for your comments this is exactly what i was looking for. When the pup joins me duck hunting i keep him attached to the lead which is attached to my belt. Is is actually very steady to the shot. He has been exposed to everything mentioned above and then some. The only problem i have had is on long swimming retrieves he will kinda forget where the bird is, given its not still flopping. I just throw a rock and he retrieved that bird. Thanks again for your comments.
Bolding mine.

May I respectfully say this is super dangerous.... expecially if you hunt with some one. Picture dog breaking right when you take a shot.....

Tie to a tree or tie out stake instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.