The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Food (Stamps) For Thought

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    When someone throws that much money at an election....the jargen is they are trying to buy the election. I have not lost anything
    That may be your jargon but what I was referring to was buying votes as in something in return for a voters vote like welfare, phones,etc. You knew that but are now trying to crayfish out of the discussion by claiming that Romney outspent Obama.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    When someone throws that much money at an election....the jargen is they are trying to buy the election. I have not lost anything
    Well, to begin with, the word you were looking for is "jargon. I am definitely going to have to agree with Mr. Whitworth on this one. In my linguistic conceit, I believe that I have read enough and have enough general life experience to say that when one speaks of "buying" an election, one is normally referring to using promises of favors to targeted members of the electorate to get their votes. I don't see how spending millions, billions, or even trillions on ad campaigns is buying anyone's vote (except perhaps the ad executives' and since they get paid up front, not even them).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Well, to begin with, the word you were looking for is "jargon. I am definitely going to have to agree with Mr. Whitworth on this one. In my linguistic conceit, I believe that I have read enough and have enough general life experience to say that when one speaks of "buying" an election, one is normally referring to using promises of favors to targeted members of the electorate to get their votes. I don't see how spending millions, billions, or even trillions on ad campaigns is buying anyone's vote (except perhaps the ad executives' and since they get paid up front, not even them).
    Didn't Romney make promises to his donors what he was going to do? Repeal Obamacare, not tax the wealthy any higher rates than they currently pay. Are those promises to his supporters or do I misunderstand how it works?