The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Five dollar words

Banned

Default Five dollar words

Why do some of you among us speak with what I call "Five dollar words"? By throwing out those fancy words, does that make you feel superior to others without the vocabulary you have aquired? Just curious is all.

Quote Originally Posted by murral stark View Post
    Why do some of you among us speak with what I call "Five dollar words"? By throwing out those fancy words, does that make you feel superior to others without the vocabulary you have aquired? Just curious is all.
    I think people try to use as much of thier vocabulary as possible to give true meaning to thier expressed point of view. Not to sound superior. Just my .02.
    Home To

HRCH Bluesky's Rollin Thunder MH
    Bluesky's Hot Bunn's Ellie
    SHR Saddiehawkins of Summer Bird 1998-2011
    SHR Bluesky's Some like em Hot 2009-2010 Left too soon

"five dollar" or "four letter", one needs to communicate effectively with the audience being addressed.
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    "five dollar" or "four letter", one needs to communicate effectively with the audience being addressed.
    Here, here, most elegantly put forth.
    Home To

HRCH Bluesky's Rollin Thunder MH
    Bluesky's Hot Bunn's Ellie
    SHR Saddiehawkins of Summer Bird 1998-2011
    SHR Bluesky's Some like em Hot 2009-2010 Left too soon

probably only two or maybe three guys on here that could use the "five dollar words" effectively and that is probably because of their upbringing and level of education and just plain being witty...trying to use big words when you dont know when to use them or what they mean is laughable...even worse is when you cant spell them correctly
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Thompson1 View Post
    Here, here, most elegantly put forth.
    Better watch out. That turn of phrase sounds a bit upper-crusty!

Having an extensive vocabulary can often allow one to be more precise. Red is a color, but crimson carries more information, as do vermilion and maroon. The same can be true of many other words. "Peregrinations" is more interesting than "travels", and "perambulate" more precise than "walk". There was a time when the ability to write well was actually admired. Personally I have always loved words (call me a logophile if you wish). I actually delight in encountering words with which I am unfamiliar. One of the things I really miss now that I mostly use the built in dictionary on the computer instead of a print dictionary is the opportunity stumble across new words while looking up the spelling or meaning of a word I already know. I read some word one the other day which I thought was very cool, and now I can't remember what it was or where I saw it. Leaves me somewhat peeved. I also admire correct grammar and good construct and detest the opposite.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    probably only two or maybe three guys on here that could use the "five dollar words" effectively and that is probably because of their upbringing and level of education and just plain being witty...trying to use big words when you dont know when to use them or what they mean is laughable...even worse is when you cant spell them correctly
    My spelling is really pretty abysmal, so I keep spell check on all the time and also sometimes double check with the dictionary. I think that some of the tendency to stretch (vocabularily speaking) comes from what one reads, and what writers one admires. Ed Zern and Patrick McManus often had a very nice turn of phrase, as did Havilah Babcock. Hemingway was no slouch either.

Having a vocabulary allows one to accuse someone of suffering from logorrhea, which is much more elegant than "diarrhea of the mouth" a particularly unpleasant expression.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

I prefer someone say what they mean and mean what they say, unfortunately on these forums that is not always possible....and then there are those whose narrative is nothing but condescending and frankly a waste of time...but as they say Bless their Heart
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Doesn't take big words to be condescending (does makes it easier though )
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)

I have said from forever RTF is a group of us standing at the tail gate of the pick up after runnin' our dogs.
    I type just as if I was talking to you. I can say for sure I have never typed something I would not say to somebodys face.
    Only better thing is here I can spell wrong to add humor now and again. I also very much enjoy words. Again back to grade school spelling and vocab lists. I will both talk, and type in the words my Grandfather and Grandmother used as I lived with them from '68 to '79. I used to think of myself the the worlds youngest depresion era baby. I like words like bill fold and trousers and foot feed (thats a gas pedal kids)

Murral, could you give some examples of these $5 words please?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin