The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Five dollar words

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I prefer someone say what they mean and mean what they say, unfortunately on these forums that is not always possible....and then there are those whose narrative is nothing but condescending and frankly a waste of time...but as they say Bless their Heart

tru-dat

oh, these two are fitty cent words!

get it, fitty cent????
    I kill me
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken, I think you might be one of the folks he was talking about (knew I liked you all along). I know what a foot feed is too. Don't know if it was a common saying or not, but one of my buddies used to refer to the old foot starter switch with a rather colorful alliterative term that spoke of a piece of a jackass's anatomy.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I have said from forever RTF is a group of us standing at the tail gate of the pick up after runnin' our dogs.
    I type just as if I was talking to you. I can say for sure I have never typed something I would not say to somebodys face.
    Only better thing is here I can spell wrong to add humor now and again. I also very much enjoy words. Again back to grade school spelling and vocab lists. I will both talk, and type in the words my Grandfather and Grandmother used as I lived with them from '68 to '79. I used to think of myself the the worlds youngest depresion era baby. I like words like bill fold and trousers and foot feed (thats a gas pedal kids)

Murral, could you give some examples of these $5 words please?

Ken you might be the straightest shooter of them all....You are also one of the few that I would want on my Name that Tune team, because you know lyrics better than I do, and I used to have to know that stuff on a former job (themed night club manager)
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Schadenfreude is a great word (even if i did have to look it up just to be sure I knew what it meant).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    "Schadenfreude" used recently in a post. Trully a $5 + word.

W.Strunk regards, JD
    Huh? did I miss a thread about the Broadway musical Avenue Q???
    I love show tunes. Anyone got a problem with that?!?!

edit, click the vid I love this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvcRQ...eature=related
    Last edited by Ken Bora; 11-16-2012 at 12:20 AM.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Huh? did I miss a thread about the Broadway musical Avenue Q???
    I love show tunes. Anyone got a problem with that?!?!
    Not at all, Ken.

Hugh, when B. Spitzer used it in an earlier post I had to look it up also. I didn't know it's show tune connotations. but I doubt Bill did either. JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by murral stark View Post
    Why do some of you among us speak with what I call "Five dollar words"? By throwing out those fancy words, does that make you feel superior to others without the vocabulary you have aquired? Just curious is all.
    Amazing, I have to answer to you for the vocabulary I have acquired???
    The better question might be how you have avoided acquiring a vocabulary................

Like it or not, I say what I mean and mean what I say and every now and then, I spell it correctly!!!
    (not always though)
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    ........ I didn't know it's show tune connotations. but I doubt Bill did either. JD
    were did UB use this expensive word?

Some of us here just have the nackendicularaty to be proficferiouse with our enouncation of the vocancabulation of our verbage,..

SOME of us dont spell woth a hoot,, but I Imagine most graciously that the problem stems from the subjects attendence (Or lack of) in sub Par Unionisistrical educational facaliyes...

Iwas very fortunate tn my adolecesence that My Father pulled me from such places,, and put me strate to labor placing bricks and applying Mortoer,(French)

It IS very infortunatical,, that some here dont appreciate the colorful use of the spoken word///

Uncle Bill comes to mind... He really needs to polish it up afraction..

Elequintly as usual

Gooser

P,S,

Because of thedirect implimitational application of OBAMA care,, those 5 dollar words are now 20..
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

this is a fun link I like to check - http://www.merriam-webster.com/word-of-the-day/

As your body grows bigger Your mind grows flowered It's great to learn Cause knowledge is power!