The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Five dollar words

The use of words that flow effortlessly through a comment are appropriate, regardless of cost . I subscribe to certain magazines because of their writers ability to phrase comments correctly - one does not have to read too much to recognize the inability of many writers to make their point due to their lack of vocabulary. & yes I have a large Webster's sitting on a bookshelf next to the computer to check words I am unfamiliar with. I'm reading SI yesterday & there is an article about the owner of the Rams, Nuggets, Avalanche, Arsenal & several other sporting franchises. Though he ranks 92 on the list of wealthy he sounds very much like someone who would post here as a conservative . The author of the article noted that he was reading the book "The Revence of Geography" by Kaplan, a book that many of our congresscritters should have read before they committed us to the type of campaign we've seen in the ME. I finished the book last week & highly recommend it to those on here with the cognitive ability to recognize it's significance . I would also recommend the "Bell Curve", it would point out why some don't get it .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    were did UB use this expensive word?

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...66#post1033966
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    The use of words that flow effortlessly through a comment are (IS) appropriate, regardless of cost . I subscribe to certain magazines because of their writers ability to phrase comments correctly - one does not have to read too much to recognize the inability of many writers to make their point due to their lack of vocabulary. & yes I have a large Webster's sitting on a bookshelf next to the computer to check words I am unfamiliar with. I'm reading SI yesterday & there is an article about the owner of the Rams, Nuggets, Avalanche, Arsenal & several other sporting franchises. Though he ranks 92 on the list of wealthy he sounds very much like someone who would post here as a conservative . The author of the article noted that he was reading the book "The Revence of Geography" by Kaplan, a book that many of our congresscritters should have read before they committed us to the type of campaign we've seen in the ME. I finished the book last week & highly recommend it to those on here with the cognitive ability to recognize it's significance . I would also recommend the "Bell Curve", it would point out why some don't get it .

Nicely put (with one small correction, see above in blue and bold). The Bell Curve seems to be a rather controversial tome in some circles and it might only point out why some don't get it to those who do. It took me into my forties to realize that the reason some people do stupid things is because some people (actually somewhat over half the population) are significantly lacking in cognitive ability, and a good 25% or better are dumb as a stick. There really is no use in getting mad at them, no matter how frustrating it is. It's no more their fault than it is mine that I'm not a world class distance runner. The really hard part is keeping in mind that just as there are people who lack my cognitive abilities, there are many, many, many much closer than I to the righthand side of that curve .
    Last edited by HPL; 11-16-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    this is a fun link I like to check - http://www.merriam-webster.com/word-of-the-day/

As your body grows bigger Your mind grows flowered It's great to learn Cause knowledge is power!
    Howdy Ken!

Checked out the link and it really brought a smile to my face. First, never seen that word and would never have guessed a correct definition (unless perhaps I had heard it in context) and second, there was a thread the other day in which someone suggested that someone else's post had involved very little thought. Would have been a great opportunity to use THAT word. I think it's a keeper!! Will have to bookmark the site. Thanks!!
    You better be careful, the Renaissance Man in you is showing through.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I could have perdicted this
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

The Bell Curve must be about clicker training if it is controversial on RTF..

I too would like to see examples of what you consider five-dollar words, Murral. Personally, I've always enjoyed learning new words and new context for old ones. Like Ken, I write the same way I talk. If I see an unfamiliar word, I'll look it up. If I like it, I'll find a way to use it. And I appreciate good writers, whether of fiction, news articles and/or internet posts.

Thanks Ken, for that link. And schadenfreude is a good word, too, I'll definitely remember that one. But, I'd really like to learn some $5 words--help me out here, Murral.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    I too would like to see examples of what you consider five-dollar words, Murral. Personally, I've always enjoyed learning new words and new context for old ones. Like Ken, I write the same way I talk. If I see an unfamiliar word, I'll look it up. If I like it, I'll find a way to use it. And I appreciate good writers, whether of fiction, news articles and/or internet posts.

Thanks Ken, for that link. And schadenfreude is a good word, too, I'll definitely remember that one. But, I'd really like to learn some $5 words--help me out here, Murral.
    It's just an expression that my dad used to describe words that he had no idea what they meant. Just stuck with me. The one word I was referencing was that "schadenfreude". Another is bloviating just stuff like that. I was just curious to the reasoning behind the use of words like that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Amazing, I have to answer to you for the vocabulary I have acquired???
    The better question might be how you have avoided acquiring a vocabulary................

Like it or not, I say what I mean and mean what I say and every now and then, I spell it correctly!!!
    (not always though)
    What's up with that? I was asking a question didn't need someone to try and insult me.

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    My spelling is really pretty abysmal, so I keep spell check on all the time and also sometimes double check with the dictionary. I think that some of the tendency to stretch (vocabularily speaking) comes from what one reads, and what writers one admires. Ed Zern and Patrick McManus often had a very nice turn of phrase, as did Havilah Babcock. Hemingway was no slouch either.

Having a vocabulary allows one to accuse someone of suffering from logorrhea, which is much more elegant than "diarrhea of the mouth" a particularly unpleasant expression.
    If you enjoy reading McManus and Babcock, I would think you would also be a student of Buckingham and Gene Hill. My personal favorite and #1 author is Gordon MacQuarrie. His writings will enhance your vocabulary.

UB

PS...one of my favorite 'specialty' words came from a poster to RTF that we haven't seen on board for quite a while, and I miss his jocularity and poignancy in his answers to the ignorant...asshat. Where are you, Hew???
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.