The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How will the union supporters spin the Hostess situation?

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    If management would just grant ALL of da unions demands, they would be soooo much better off!!!
    I would hope that management would not agree to all demands from "da Union". Frequently they do not.

Unions are there to negotiate not dictate. Labor contracts are reached through negotiation. As a negotiator --union or management--you never come away with 100% of your initial demands. Unions don't generally have enough clout to get everything. As it foolhardy for a union to kill the golden goose, it is also incumbent on management not to give away the store. The function of unions is to negotiate contracts where their members can make a decent living so that their basic needs can be met. Unions also are charged with negotiating work rules that that protect the health and safety of their members. Unions also serve as a conduit in resolving disputes in the work place.

After all, an employee is not a wage slave. He/She is a person that is deserving of dignity and respect. If that recognition existed to a greater extent in the work place then there would not be a need for a union. But in a world where CEO are paid 400X the basic workers pay, I can't understand the all the beef about unions.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 11-19-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

If management would just grant ALL of da unions demands, they would be soooo much better off!!!
    We all know that if the company "management" would give the union all they ever wanted the company would be not only be profitable but flourishing today. Oh by the way I have a bridge in Port St Lucie, FL want to buy it?

When the union has to much say in how a company can run it's business that business is going to eventually become non profitable and non productive. Same problem with the schools and unions.
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

But the secular progressive professor's political bias is quite all right with you?

Who said it was bias. The proffesor got it right. Just business!

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    ESOPs have hurt a many a worker....companies can borrow against the assets of the ESOP. When they fail the creditors get the assets in the ESOP instead of the workers they were intended for. Many a leverage buyout has been arranged by leveraging up the ESOP and then the company'd debt burden causes it to fail.

ESOPs are bad!!!!
    Ahh...there are lots of bad things that can happen in companies. An ESOP, Employee Stock Ownership Pan, actually gives employees ownership in the company. While many may stay with that company until they retire, it is not a retirement program. When I leave this company, regardless of whether I retire or not, my shares will be bought back by the company.

In the interim lots of things could happen. This is a healthcare business. Obamacare could cut our reimbursements to the point we go broke. Our stock will be worthless. That would be bad.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Just waiting for more to follow.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

It ain't the only cupcake in town.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Bottomline....Hostess lost their creativity....easy to do when someone saddles you with debt

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    It ain't the only cupcake in town.
    Tell that to those 18,000 unemployed folks.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by twall View Post
    Ahh...there are lots of bad things that can happen in companies. An ESOP, Employee Stock Ownership Pan, actually gives employees ownership in the company. While many may stay with that company until they retire, it is not a retirement program. When I leave this company, regardless of whether I retire or not, my shares will be bought back by the company.

In the interim lots of things could happen. This is a healthcare business. Obamacare could cut our reimbursements to the point we go broke. Our stock will be worthless. That would be bad.

Tom
    And the management in charge borrowers against your stock and when they fail...you have nothing. See you just half the story.

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    Wrong thing to do if he wants a good grade. Never a good move.

I disagree. I'm not suggesting he challenge the professor in front of the class. I'm suggesting he take advantage of his professor's office hours to ask questions, challenge him respectfully, and try and understand where he is coming from. My bet, this interaction will most likely enhance his grade and his education.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)