The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 102

Thread: How will the union supporters spin the Hostess situation?

  1. #11
    Senior Member twall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    Executuve compensation has really expanded over the past decade or two. When companies are doing well it doesn't seem so bad. But, when you hear about compaines going broke and the CEO or CFO leaves with a giant compensation package it really makes me wonder. It is one thing to get paid handsomely for doing well.

    Twinkies and Ho-Ho's will survive, Hostess maybe not. I hope that all who lose jobs over this get re-hired by someone quickly. Our economy doesn't need to lose anymore jobs!

    Tom
    Tom Wall

  2. #12
    Senior Member PamK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostess_Brands

    Here's a wealth of information.....It seems the company's economic woes began about 8 years ago and have continued to plague them over the years.

    While I think the Union probably played a part in the decision to file bankruptcy yesterday (for the second time in less than a decade), I have to ask why the CEO, who was at the helm when things went south was sent on his way with nearly $3 million in compensation and the executives that remained were given salary increases of up to 80%. It seems a little irresponsible when the company is in such poor shape.

    I know Unions are unpopular with most of the people posting here, but it seems to me that there is a lot more to this situation than workers striking to hold onto benefits that were negotiated for many years ago.-Paul
    They didn't file for bankruptcy yesterday it was early spring I think. My neighbor work(ed) at the home office. What she has said and I realize that it is management's side is the union bosses told the members not to vote for the contract because there was a buyer that was just waiting to take over. The buyer though has repeatedly said they would not buy the company unless a contract was signed.

    She told me the union president told the workers so many mistruths that the judge enforced the contract they wouldn't sign and that is why they went on strike.

    The union side that I am reading now is blaming management for bad business practice over the years.

    While I have no idea what the concessions were that management was asking for it just seams to me that a job is better than no job.
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Julie R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Orlean VA
    Posts
    2,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    While I think the Union probably played a part in the decision to file bankruptcy yesterday (for the second time in less than a decade), I have to ask why the CEO, who was at the helm when things went south was sent on his way with nearly $3 million in compensation and the executives that remained were given salary increases of up to 80%. It seems a little irresponsible when the company is in such poor shape.

    I know Unions are unpopular with most of the people posting here, but it seems to me that there is a lot more to this situation than workers striking to hold onto benefits that were negotiated for many years ago.-Paul
    It does seem wrong for executives of a failing company to get pay increases, but it's equally reprehensible for unions to demand pay/benefit increases when business is clearly on a downhill slide. It doesn't matter when they were negotiated, compromise--including belt tightening--on the part of all parties is necessary when income is plummeting and demise is imminent.

    I suspect Hostess started having problems because of the nanny state mentality that Twinkies cause obesity. Same mentality that believes spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat. But the soldiers of the war on junk food always seemed to mention Twinkies so this was a case where Hostess's name brand recognition might've been detrimental. Because after all, the geniuses we're raising in our schools these days probably just stopped buying Twinkies in favor of Zingers or other similar products manufactured by Hostess competition.
    Last edited by Julie R.; 11-16-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostess_Brands

    Here's a wealth of information.....It seems the company's economic woes began about 8 years ago and have continued to plague them over the years.

    While I think the Union probably played a part in the decision to file bankruptcy yesterday (for the second time in less than a decade), I have to ask why the CEO, who was at the helm when things went south was sent on his way with nearly $3 million in compensation and the executives that remained were given salary increases of up to 80%. It seems a little irresponsible when the company is in such poor shape.

    I know Unions are unpopular with most of the people posting here, but it seems to me that there is a lot more to this situation than workers striking to hold onto benefits that were negotiated for many years ago.-Paul
    I hear the same comments all the time about executives. Not unlike Union Employees', Executives also have contracts which they sign that guarantees them bonuses for everything from cost savings, stock prices to increases in sales. When they tell him to walk, they are still obligated to honor his contract. He did the same thing that the Union Employees' have done. He cost the comapany a lot of money and contributed to its' demise.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit Lakes, MN
    Posts
    1,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    Just curious as to the direction of spin from the union supporters as to the "real" reasons why Hostess asked for permission to file bankruptcy. I'm sure none of the fault or blame should be placed on the unions or their demands!
    You are the only one "spinning" this issue and have conveniently placed the blame squarely on the union. So predictable. Right out of the echo chamber play book.

    I am surprised you did not work in "high taxes" and "over regulation" since these factors are the holy trinity of right wing ideology for everything that ails us.

    As has been explained here already, there appears to be a much more to this complicated story and there is plenty of blame to go around, including to the unions. Maybe Bain will come in and save the day, get rid of the union, reduce wages and benefits, continue to sell us junk food, and make a nice profit. Hmmm. Sounds like a good project for Mitt Romney since he is unemployed.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    What do we need unions for beside raising wages now? we have our national health care plan which doesn't do much but run more small businesses out of business? Unions are happier if small businesses are gone. They don't see them a strength because of their lack of support for free enterprise. Unions only want healthy large union companies to prosper.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    What do we need unions for beside raising wages now? we have our national health care plan which doesn't do much but run more small businesses out of business? Unions are happier if small businesses are gone. They don't see them a strength because of their lack of support for free enterprise. Unions only want healthy large union companies to prosper.

    Not sure how you can call it a "national healthcare plan."

    I am still amazed that a conservative approach to healthcare that was actually born at the Heritage Foundation is characterized as "socialism." I guess making folks take personal responsibility is socialism these days.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  8. #18
    Senior Member coachmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    878

    Default

    So Henry V, that's your spin! I'm the one who is actually spinning the story. WOW! I work in an industry that consists of a large portion of union members. I see the impact unions have on a daily basis. I am interested to see how much of the blame falls on the evil corporation instead of the unions. It's amazing the number of people that will defend unions until their last dying breath. My mistake Henry V, it's better to be unemployed that to take a pay cut. Kind of like throwing the baby out with the bath water. If you think all of the union bosses are truly concerned with the workers then there is no hope for you. They're no different than the greedy, corrupt corporate leaders that you vilify.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Something we can agree on. The thing I really liked about working at Siemens was that they put their good engineers into senior positions and pay them like top managers. Their philosophy is, why should a GOOD engineer feel the need to go and be a POOR manager in order to draw a top salary?
    You must be an engineer...

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit Lakes, MN
    Posts
    1,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    So Henry V, that's your spin! I'm the one who is actually spinning the story. WOW! I work in an industry that consists of a large portion of union members. I see the impact unions have on a daily basis. I am interested to see how much of the blame falls on the evil corporation instead of the unions. It's amazing the number of people that will defend unions until their last dying breath. My mistake Henry V, it's better to be unemployed that to take a pay cut. Kind of like throwing the baby out with the bath water. If you think all of the union bosses are truly concerned with the workers then there is no hope for you. They're no different than the greedy, corrupt corporate leaders that you vilify.
    No spin from me. I do not pretend to know the reasons why the union rejected the offer facing potential unemployment. I also did not vilify corporate leaders or corporations but I did vilify you for jumping on the "its the union's fault" bandwagon. Seems you and many others here are always quick to point out how evil unions are. I am surprised no one has blamed this one on "Obamacare" yet, or did I miss that?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •