The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How will the union supporters spin the Hostess situation?

Not sure. Which one are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    Your utter disrespect and contempt for anyone that doesn't agree with you, and the fact that you always resort to juvenile name calling, only proves your lack of character and lack of intellegence. My only fear for America is that some extremist regiem with views like your will somehow gain control of the country. Hopefully that will never happen.
    Man your having an argument with the copy and paste boy, it would be simpler to just get your own subscription to the Limbaugh letter than to have a battle with a guy that hasn't had posted his own thoughts in the last five years.

I don't see Bain as a Republican problem, just a greed problem. Of course, when people are eager to assign political blame, they will paint it that way.
    Blackstone, I can agree that no particular party or any group of individuals, have the corner on greed.

We cannot deny, however, that the Dems pilloried Romney for being a part of Bain, even for things that happened after Romney left Bain. Yet, I doubt that any of the MSM will even mention that a Dem PE firm is behind Hostess' demise. Wonder if the union bosses are also in tune with the fact that their battle has been with fellow Dems?

Seems like the Dems have achieved the ultimate in class warfare when their own constituencies are battling each other. Maybe the powers that were running Hostess anticipated that the union constituency would ultimately win this battle, so paid off those executives in advance?

And who gets the fuzzy end of the lollypop? Not the union bosses. Not those executives. Not the PE company. It was the 18,000+ workers who will have no job now. Yup, I can clearly see how this administration will "grow the economy from the middle out." Nobody bothered to explain how that concept works ... but it sure made for a good sound bite.
    Last edited by Gerry Clinchy; 11-18-2012 at 05:52 AM.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

the Democratic smear machine did a great job to villify Bain Capital, when they arent even in the Top Ten of Venture capital firms in the US.....but then firms like Warren Buffett's beloved Berkshire Hathaway gets a pass, same with Goldman Sachs who single handed controls more of the banking and stock manipulation here in the US..
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Blackstone, I can agree that no particular party or any group of individuals, have the corner on greed.

We cannot deny, however, that the Dems pilloried Romney for being a part of Bain, even for things that happened after Romney left Bain. Yet, I doubt that any of the MSM will even mention that a Dem PE firm is behind Hostess' demise. Wonder if the union bosses are also in tune with the fact that their battle has been with fellow Dems?

Seems like the Dems have achieved the ultimate in class warfare when their own constituencies are battling each other. Maybe the powers that were running Hostess anticipated that the union constituency would ultimately win this battle, so paid off those executives in advance?

And who gets the fuzzy end of the lollypop? Not the union bosses. Not those executives. Not the PE company. It was the 18,000+ workers who will have no job now. Yup, I can clearly see how this administration will "grow the economy from the middle out." Nobody bothered to explain how that concept works ... but it sure made for a good sound bite.
    Again, I don’t think this is really a political issue. Yes, Bain was vilified, but only because Democrats sought to vilify Romney. I never heard them accuse Bain of being a Republican PE firm.

I doubt the union or the union workers at Hostess care about the political affiliation of the persons at the head of the PE firm that acquired them, and I doubt the firm cared about the political affiliations of the workers. It was all about making money, and greed has no political affiliation.

The sad part is the workers will pay the ultimate price by losing their jobs. But, it’s hard to see how the Obama administration can be held accountable for the failure. Hostess/Interstate Bakeries was in financial trouble long before Obama came along. All those jobs were in jeopardy 8 years when Hostess filed for the 1st bankruptcy. Ten thousand jobs were lost as a result of that bankruptcy (was that the Bush administration’s fault?). Workers took wage and benefit concessions, and were forced into an ESOP. Poor management decisions are what led to the demise of Hostess, not the union. It’s not like workers were being compensated with an exorbitant salary or benefit package.

This is really not a political issue. It is a poor management issue. The company failed, and people lost their jobs. It is sad, but it had nothing to do with either political party.

Amid the commentary on Hostess's failure is the company's lack of innovation . The tried to stand pat on their product line and had not introduced new product line for years. They really missed the changes in the market place and that had more to do with their demise than anything. The company had management problems for years and it was only a matter of time before the company would go bankrupt a second time--union or no union.
    Sarge

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

I was chatting with our bread delivery guy about this the other day. He is an independant. Owns his truck and rout. Has a couple other brands on his truck other that the primary. Lots of bakery and drivers do this. If a truck is going to a store every morning, and has some empty space it just makes sence. Anyway, he was saying he could never add hostess cakes because of the union hostess workers used. The twinkies had to be on hostess trucks. The driver HAD to have a "puller" a second guy, not work alone. It is a Union lifestyle, my bread guys words. That is more than just the workers or the corperate bosses earnings. But how they have to do stuff. Instead of a lean and mean independant driver like my bread guy they, by the union they chose worked fat and happy. Again my bread guys words. And lean and mean beats fat and happy all week long and twice on Sundays! Just the way of the world.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I was chatting with our bread delivery guy about this the other day. He is an independant. Owns his truck and rout. Has a couple other brands on his truck other that the primary. Lots of bakery and drivers do this. If a truck is going to a store every morning, and has some empty space it just makes sence. Anyway, he was saying he could never add hostess cakes because of the union hostess workers used. The twinkies had to be on hostess trucks. The driver HAD to have a "puller" a second guy, not work alone. It is a Union lifestyle, my bread guys words. That is more than just the workers or the corperate bosses earnings. But how they have to do stuff. Instead of a lean and mean independant driver like my bread guy they, by the union they chose worked fat and happy. Again my bread guys words. And lean and mean beats fat and happy all week long and twice on Sundays! Just the way of the world.
    There are a couple of ways to look at this. The question is, why did the Hostess union workers want a 2nd guy on the truck? Were they just lazy, or were there health implications. I have 2 friends that were UPS drivers. They both now suffer from knee and back problem that, according to them, came from years of getting in and out of the trucks delivering packages. Would a 2nd guy have helped prevent this? I don’t know, but it’s worth consideration.

There is also a local waste disposal company here that was started by a guy and his wife around 1960. In the beginning, he threw the garbage, and she drove the truck. His knees and back caused him a considerable amount of problems later in life. He had both knees replaced, and 2 back surgeries. He told me it was the result of lifting the cans and jumping on and off of the truck. Unfortunately for him, hospital workers dropped him after his 2nd back surgery while trying to move him from one bed to another. He is now a paraplegic.

Now, as an independent truck owner and business owner, like your delivery guy, are you willing to take more personal health risks for your own financial gain than you would be for financial gains going to the company or someone else?

.....Now, as an independent truck owner and business owner, like your delivery guy, are you willing to take more personal health risks for your own financial gain than you would be for financial gains going to the company or someone else?
    Of course you would be. And the flip side. As a baker would you rather worry about trucks and maintenance and drivers, or just bake the best Twinkie you could? In this particular instance the product was legendary. The customer base was in place. The demand from the retailers was steady. You just needed to get the Twinkie from over to store shelf. Even the independent drivers are already in place. One would just have to open the kitchen door and ask, “Who wants to truck my Twinkie?” Independent drivers would win, the bakery would win, who is left out of the loop? Oh right, the union. And I am sure this delivery issue is just one of many that led to the Twinkie demise. One of many I am sure.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by murral stark View Post
    The main difference with the Union worker getting fired and the Executive being told to leave. the union worker does not get any severance package where the executive does. At least not in my industry. Depending on why the union worker was terminated, they may or may not get unemployment either.
    I beleive it was you who mentioned that the displaced salaried non-union Delphi workers made the choice.

I guess that works both ways.........
    Stan b & Elvis