The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Morning comments:

Default Morning comments:

After reading the thread on the National, I thought I'd give a couple comments. First, I heard that one dog had 6 no-birds. Is this a world record for no-birds for a single dog? Also, on one of the threads the talked about the word "Open." Historically this is used as an adjective in dog sports, as in "Open All-Age." This means that any eligible dog at least 6 months old can enter the stake without any other qualifications. Other stakes have qualifications to enter: Limited All-Age, Special All-Age, Restricted All-Age, and the National Retriever Championship. I noticed today they called it the National Open on the blog. I guess common use is using "Open" as a noun. I guess I just like things to be precise. This happens with other terms that we use. For example, the misuse of the term "hunt test" or "licensed trial."

Jack
    It was impossible, so it took a little longer to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by junbe View Post
    After reading the thread on the National, I thought I'd give a couple comments. First, I heard that one dog had 6 no-birds. Is this a world record for no-birds for a single dog? Also, on one of the threads the talked about the word "Open." Historically this is used as an adjective in dog sports, as in "Open All-Age." This means that any eligible dog at least 6 months old can enter the stake without any other qualifications. Other stakes have qualifications to enter: Limited All-Age, Special All-Age, Restricted All-Age, and the National Retriever Championship. I noticed today they called it the National Open on the blog. I guess common use is using "Open" as a noun. I guess I just like things to be precise. This happens with other terms that we use. For example, the misuse of the term "hunt test" or "licensed trial."

Jack
    Jack, I doubt that anyone would know if 6 is a record for no birds except for the person who had 7 if such a person exists. There is no doubt the person who had 6 will remember it always and will claim the record.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Jack, I doubt that anyone would know if 6 is a record for no birds except for the person who had 7 if such a person exists. There is no doubt the person who had 6 will remember it always and will claim the record.
    I suspect it might be a record for a National.......
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by junbe View Post
    . For example, the misuse of the term............. "licensed trial."
    Jack
    Isn't that what a trial held by a club that is not a AKC member club could properly be called

See CHAPTER 2 FIELD TRIALS DEFINED

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 11-16-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

"Nat'l"..as you say is earned and deserved. Are they trying to specify Nat'l "Open"..vs Nat'l AM?

My younger GR had 4 flyer no birds, first series, in an AM in NY this past season.. By the time he was sent, judge was whispering "dog"..

Later in the season we had a no bird on a Open PB land blind (gun retired behind bush)..same dog. If you don't think that was tough. Very tight line past bird to blind. I guess that might be worth training...training new concepts is never over.

Judy
    Last edited by Judy Chute; 11-16-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

You think the Gunner's committee is getting too old?
    "You can train your dog any way ya want. It ain't my dog. "

I am one of those guilty of using "Open" as a noun in "National 'Open'" in order to differentiate it from the "National Amateur." To me they are both "'national' events" so I do it to be more precise in my language.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Jack,

Maggie and I had 6 no birds also, at the 1987 National in the 7th series. There were 2 fliers and on the 3rd try they let me have one and then decided the other one was a no bird. We also had to honor and the running dog had a no bird. The judge told me to " get out of here, she seems pretty damn steady to me".

Ed's right I'll never forget it!

At the time someone told me that they thought the Guy's Bitterrot Lucky had had 8 or 10 in a prior year.

Bob Lindgren