The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free cell phone

Default Free cell phone

With all of the bashing going on here about free cell phones I was amazed to find out the the program started under Regan. Why doesn't anyone blame him?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/where-...rticle/2509203

(partial quote)
    The program is called Lifeline, established in 1984, originally created to subsidize landline phone service for low income Americans, funded by government-collected telecommunication fees, paid by consumers.
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.

I guess because they were not standing on the street corners screaming " free obama phone we got us a free obama phone." I never heard anyone screaming free Regan phone.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

I believe this last go around with the phones was part of the recovery act as to stimulate the economy. I think the # of phones that went out was some where near 71 million. It did stimulate the forieng country's that produce these phones. If you are on the government dole you get one. How did that stimulate the economy here in the U.S.?
    Home To

HRCH Bluesky's Rollin Thunder MH
    Bluesky's Hot Bunn's Ellie
    SHR Saddiehawkins of Summer Bird 1998-2011
    SHR Bluesky's Some like em Hot 2009-2010 Left too soon

The additional controversy was that at least one of the companies that provided these phones made a handsome chunk of $, and had some good connections politcally
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by gmhr1 View Post
    I guess because they were not standing on the street corners screaming " free obama phone we got us a free obama phone." I never heard anyone screaming free Regan phone.
    'cause back then they were to busy having to tear the $10 $ $20 coupins out of the booklet marked "FOOD STAMPS" in order to buy food. Must be the added time from the EBC cards. and the keeping land lines working for poor rural families I still support. Keeping cell phones working for snookie wanabeees.... um , NO!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    'cause back then they were to busy having to tear the $10 $ $20 coupins out of the booklet marked "FOOD STAMPS" in order to buy food. Must be the added time from the EBC cards. and the keeping land lines working for poor rural families I still support. Keeping cell phones working for snookie wanabeees.... um , NO!
    When I was laid off I looked at all my bills and it was cheaper to get a cell phone than keep the land line. While most people I know spend way more money than I would on cell phones most don't have land lines anymore.

Did you really mean to say that poor rural families are more deserving than poor urban families?
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by PamK View Post
    .....Did you really mean to say that poor rural families are more deserving than poor urban families?
    Contrary to television cell phone commercials, cell service is not available in a great many rural areas. And the remoteness of an address makes it impossible to go across the hall to ask to use the telephone when you have a sucking chest wound. Not more or less deserving, just the practical aspect of rural life.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    The distances here are great compared to New England.. JD
    it ain't the distance, but how far up and down ya gotta go to get to and fro, ya know?
    Same with upper N.Y. and all of N.H. You drop over a ridge and an entire hamlet is without service.

I guess I could stand up next to a Mt. and knock it down with the edge of my hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    it ain't the distance, but how far up and down ya gotta go to get to and fro, ya know?
    Same with upper N.Y. and all of N.H. You drop over a ridge and an entire hamlet is without service.

I guess I could stand up next to a Mt. and knock it down with the edge of my hand!
    Hmm...Hamlet's,,,Omelet's. Uphill...downhill. Cellphones sometimes work, sometimes not. JD
    Bummer...
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Hmm...Hamlet's,,,Omelet's. Uphill...downhill. Cellphones sometimes work, sometimes not. JD
    Bummer...
    15 years ago I had a big bag phone that worked flawlessly, for the last 7 years I haven't been able to get a signal at my house with the newest and greatest digital.