The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Free cell phone

  1. #11
    Senior Member Julie R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Orlean VA
    Posts
    2,904

    Default

    I live in one of those areas, only 50 miles from Washington D.C. We have worse internet and cell service than Third World countries. We also don't have a good enough southern exposure for satellite internet nor is it possible to use the inexpensive internet phone services--we depend on our land lines for communication.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,168

    Default

    In my view the free cell phones were a good idea gone wild. To begin with it was not a well known thing and not many people around here had them. Then some interprising politician decided to use them to curry favor with some voters. At least it seems that way to me. We have neighbors who gave up their land line and do business with another company now. Now if we want to talk to them we go over to their house 'cause you can't get them on the phone they have now. Sometimes our own cell phone works down in this little valley and sometimes not. Our land line service ain't ( sorry, but I refuse to give up this none word ) good either.
    charly

    There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

  3. #13
    Senior Member Julie R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Orlean VA
    Posts
    2,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    Our land line service ain't ( sorry, but I refuse to give up this none word ) good either.
    That's because land line use is declining and some companies (Verizon) are actively trying to sell off their land line business. Notice how there have been no improvements or innovations in land line phones in years? When we lose our phone during storms or need a technician out here, it's usually a week and sometimes longer before we can get service back because Verizon has been laying off technicians. If you're unlucky enough to need Verizon for your land phone you basically get treated like garbage.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    That's because land line use is declining and some companies (Verizon) are actively trying to sell off their land line business. Notice how there have been no improvements or innovations in land line phones in years? When we lose our phone during storms or need a technician out here, it's usually a week and sometimes longer before we can get service back because Verizon has been laying off technicians. If you're unlucky enough to need Verizon for your land phone you basically get treated like garbage.
    We have had A T and T for over 30 years at our house in this same little valley. They had this monopoly
    for many years before that ( part of that time it was Bell ). Same lines and equipment of course
    for all those years. Our service has always been horrible.
    charly

    There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

  5. #15
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    I live in one of those areas, only 50 miles from Washington D.C. We have worse internet and cell service than Third World countries. We also don't have a good enough southern exposure for satellite internet nor is it possible to use the inexpensive internet phone services--we depend on our land lines for communication.

    See JD
    'tain't just me
    same in VA
    as in VT
    All these fools
    want somptin' free
    just get a job
    like you and me
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  6. #16
    Senior Member Julie R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Orlean VA
    Posts
    2,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    See JD
    'tain't just me
    same in VA
    as in VT
    All these fools
    want somptin' free
    just get a job
    like you and me
    JD knows about Fauquier County, Va.; he used to live here. But that was way back before phones; I think they used smoke signals and drum beats back then.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •