The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Puppy weight

Default Puppy weight

Litter of 4 labs. 2 weeks old. Is 4 pounds to big? Got one big one, that is 4 pounds 5 oz., and one small one that weighs in at just under 3 pounds. All are gaining weight but one just a lot more than the others.
    You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take

Banned

Are they moving around the box? Are they trying to get up on their feet?

WRL

You got yourself a big one there.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Senior Member Elliott Labradors's Avatar

There are certainly many breeders on here with much more experience and Knowledge than me but I do have "Growth Weight Records" information on a litter we have at the present time. This information may help you with a general comparison. Just for info.....Our litter has more conformation than field lines and I'm not sure that it makes much difference.

You can find this info on our "Puppies Page" of our web site: www.ElliottLabradors.com

I also have a detailed daily "Growth Weight Chart" on this litter that I could e-mail you if you'd like.

As many here will suggest and you may have already done this, I'd make sure to have an open communication with your vet during this whelping time that doesn't mind questions like this.

Good Luck,

Wally
    Elliott's Amazing Grace Of Diamond E MH, CGC
    HRCH Elliott's Rockin' Roxy MH, CGC
    HR Elliott's Carolina Thorne MH, CGC
    Elliott's Dixie Lou MH
    Elliott's Carolina Duchess MH, CGC
    Elliott's Armbrook Go Tell It On The Mountain JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Lilly Of The Valley JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Set My Soul Afire JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Living By Faith JH

www.ElliottLabradors.com

America would be a different place at sundown if we all started with a devotion at sunup! Wally Elliott

It is not unusual at all, especially with a small litter, to have some real piggies. Or to have a fairly large variance in size between pups. The chunky ones sometimes take longer to do things, like get up and walk. The thing to watch is a really heavy one not moving enough and becoming a "swimmer", so do a search on that as far as what to do about it, there are multiple threads on here about it. At two weeks, their eyes should be open and they are maybe trying to get up and stagger around a bit, but I've had 12 day olds be pretty precocious and some that don't feel too motivated til closer to 3 weeks. I don't get hung up on weight, per se, but how the pups are acting and developing. If mom is producing too much milk, for a litter of 4, you can back her feeding down a bit as well, as long as she doesn't get too thin herself.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

At 10 days, one of my girls (litter of 6) was 3+ lbs.... At 5 weeks, I'm sure some of the boys are post 10# already. Without seeing them hard to say for sure but I bet youre ok....
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    Are they moving around the box? Are they trying to get up on their feet?

WRL
    Thanks for all the info everyone. Yes they are all moving around pretty well. Eyes started openonig up on day 12. Like I said, they are all gaining weight and fairly active. The most active is the smallest one. She's staggering around pretty well. Big one moves all over the place as well. Thanks again everyone.
    You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NBHunter View Post
    Thanks for all the info everyone. Yes they are all moving around pretty well. Eyes started openonig up on day 12. Like I said, they are all gaining weight and fairly active. The most active is the smallest one. She's staggering around pretty well. Big one moves all over the place as well. Thanks again everyone.

The key watch for them to be getting up off their bellies and on their feet. If they are doing that he's five.

WRL