The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New training videos from Britain - Looks neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    This guy is a trainer and lab breeder as well as a field trial judge. He has many dogs who are field trial champions and trial winners. He travels all over Europe judging field trials and holding seminars.

http://vimeo.com/53659433
    Thanks Jennifer. I think that it looks really interesting. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Jennifer Loved the scenery (so beautiful) and loved what the dogs did. They probably are very fit and agile. No collars on. Certainly different than our DVD's setup. Of course they are for Gundogs! Would be interested to know if Colonel Blimp knows of this fellow and what his comments would be about his achievements??
    Thanks for sharing.
    I was wondering if Ye Olde Blimp had any comments on him or the video, too.

Hey, who ya callin' olde?

Eug is just seasoned.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Hey, who ya callin' olde?

Eug is just seasoned.
    For my taste, the more seasoned the better!

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Lynes View Post
    I always think that with all the practice those British dogs get jumping and climbing fences, they must be a little trickier to keep kenneled
    I taught mine to jump the high hurdles at the local track. BIG mistake. Only a 6 foot high kennel will keep in now
    Dick

I'm afraid I don't know of Keith Mathews or Copperbirch Labradors.

The adult sires (2) on his website are well enough bred and have very good hip scores, but neither has ever won a Trial or been made up to Field Trial Champion. The pedigrees show a strong representation of Irish dogs as you'd expect, plus some well regarded names from the rest of the UK. One sidelight might be the dog mentioned by Kirk; the full title should read "Copperbirch Paddy of Leadburn". This implies that the Leadburn kennel bought the pup and made it up to FTCh. If Billy Steele sees Copperbirch as having that sort of potential there isn't much too wrong.

I'm always griping on about the modern non collar method being poorly represented in the literature; if the DVDs go some way towards rectifying that, well and good. However 100 seems a biggish price to pay for something unreviewed or having a few trailer clips.

Jennifer
    I'm confused as to wether you admire "seasoned" men for their savoir faire and experience, or because they are too old and knackered to deploy either and thus won't give a girl any bother!

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 11-20-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Eug, I see Paddy made his way back into the IGL this year. Have you ever had the opportunity to see him run?

Kirk,

I'm not really in to Trialling these days so I don't go out of my way to attend them, other than a few local efforts. So regretfully ..

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Just sent a message to Keith Mathews, the guy in the video and asked about his Field Trial credentials. Will let you know what he says.

Eug: Been a fan of older men since way back, for too many reasons to list!

Ok, here is a snippet from Keith Mathews resume:

Trainer of Field Trial Champions
    In 2008 Keith won the most prestigious title on the Irish Field Trial calendar the “Irish Kennel Clubs Retriever of the Year title” and his FTCH bitch was declared “National Supreme Champion”.
    Keith attributes his success to his ability to use his dog behavioural background and understanding of the canine mind to train his Labradors to Field Champion standard.
    He is totally opposed to the traditional methods of gundog breaking and uses only positive training methods and his unique “Calmness Leads to Reward” dog training and behaviour method which he applies to his gundog training.
    As an international Field trial judge, Keith has judged, competed and lectured and held workshops on gundog training and pet dog behaviour all over the world. He works his gundog’s fulltime on a variety of different terrains throughout the hunting season in Ireland.
    Breeder of Champions
    As a breeder, Keith’s Copperbirch Labrador line is one of the most sought after Irish working lines in the world and has been the Top Producing Labrador Kennel in Ireland for the last decade.
    At the time of printing , Keith has bred The Irish Retriever of the Year. The three times winner of the Icelandic Championship. The Australian Retriever of the Year, FTCH’s who have been placed in the Irish Championship as well as FTCH’s who have qualified for the IGL British Retriever Championship. He has bred numerous FTCH’s as well as a further 27 dogs who have gained Field Trial awards in several different countries around the world.

And apparently, he has a hit TV show on BBC as the British version of the Dog Whisperer - but he is called the Dog GURU. For what it's worth.

Jen