The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: New training videos from Britain - Looks neat.

Blackie at Rhondeau Bay.jpg

Notice the boggy material!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Eugene

I was surprised at seeing a Chessie because I haven't seen them in the few videos I looked at of British Field Trials and British shoots (Keeper's Day,etc.). I was also surprised at seeing the shooter with a black gun.

As for the coastal gunning, that estuary bears a remarkable resemblance to my own area. It looks like a small sand bar in front of the blind, low water, exposed tidal flats and I could swear those were brant in the background, they sure flew like them. If there was more Spartina up on the meadow it would look exactly like where I gun.

Those Chessies sure are great for that kind of work. I know that Echo can do that retrieve all day long.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I'm hooked, I would buy that DVD just for the wonderful scenery, exotic (to me) dog work, jumping stone walls and iron gates, up and down terrain and most importantly that great Irish accent. My wife and I are going to Ireland this Spring, I wonder if they have a schedule of field trials over there, or if there was a training set up I could take a day off our trip to check out?

BTW, I'm an older -well seasoned guy

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I'm hooked, I would buy that DVD just for the wonderful scenery, exotic (to me) dog work, jumping stone walls and iron gates, up and down terrain and most importantly that great Irish accent. My wife and I are going to Ireland this Spring, I wonder if they have a schedule of field trials over there, or if there was a training set up I could take a day off our trip to check out?

John
    When my husband and I went to England we were fortunate enough to hook up with a local dog person....the work was amazing and very different from what we do here in the States....I'm sure you'll find someone over there to hook up with, but you might want to make sure your wife is okay with it!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    When my husband and I went to England we were fortunate enough to hook up with a local dog person....the work was amazing and very different from what we do here in the States....I'm sure you'll find someone over there to hook up with, but you might want to make sure your wife is okay with it!
    OK, maybe "hook up" isn't the best terminology.

John,

if you give me your dates and an idea if you will be in the Republic or The North, I might be able to pull a few strings. Best do it via PM.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Careful what you ask for - Eug is liable to set you up in a hide inside Baskerville House using Centenary Square for tolling pigeons. And most likely would've made splendid use of Brum's "Forward" statue for handling lessons

had not some c̶i̶v̶i̶c̶-̶m̶i̶n̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶d̶i̶v̶i̶d̶u̶a̶l̶ prankster burnt it to the ground 10 years ago.

MG

Also, Eug's QC insists I issue the disclaimer that the statue's burning did not adhere to official British "scorched earth retriever training philosophy" - even if the handler does appear to be giving a Back!-burn-Back! cast...

MG
    Last edited by crackerd; 12-27-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post

John
    Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking and why I wanted the set. In addition to any little nuggets of knowledge that may come along with it.

When I look for something to watch on the tele, my ideal is to find good scenery, good people and hunting dogs.

My current favorite is the American Gun Dog series with Harley Jackson. He did 5 or 6 seasons of the show and I have them all on DVD. The footage is mainly outdoors in some of this country's most beautiful bird hunting locations. He hunts over pointers, labs, spaniels, setters, etc. Great show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    My husband ordered it for me as a Christmas present. But as is typical, didn't order it til 3 or 4 days before Christmas. I'll let you know when it gets here. Did you order it?
    Yes I ordered it on the 15th and still haven't got it. They don't give a tracking number out for these so I guess I'll just wait til it gets here. I talked to keith yesterday and he said it might be after the 1st of the year.