RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

New training videos from Britain - Looks neat.

28K views 92 replies 35 participants last post by  GulfCoast 
#1 ·
This guy is a trainer and lab breeder as well as a field trial judge. He has many dogs who are field trial champions and trial winners. He travels all over Europe judging field trials and holding seminars.

http://vimeo.com/53659433

#37 ·
Hi Jen,
James up here in Canada......I have been following the post on the DVD by Keith Matthews, and I must say that some of the comments and criticisms about the trainer and his DVD are really disappointing and sickening, especially comment about dog on left side sent by right hand signal, wow. Don't these guys understand that the field trials originated in Britain long before they were introduced to U.S. and Canada. This post was to help promote a well respected trainer and trialer and his DVD, not to shoot him down and nit-pick like a bunch of old hens.

#38 ·
James,

I think it's good to ask questions about and really vet any supposed experts putting out a DVD. Especially if you're spending more than $100. I see what you're saying, but can't blame anyone for questioning something different. It's when you get the right answers to the questions when the good stuff happens.

#39 ·
Good morning Jen, well at least it's morning here in Ireland. I have read with interest some of the comments on the forum. We have a saying here in Ireland, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating", or in this case, the watching. Watch and marvel as 'The Dog Guru' teaches how he trains his Labradors here in Ireland, without E collars, force, intimidation, or threat, as I said before, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Warmest regards, Harry

#41 ·
Good morning Jen, well at least it's morning here in Ireland. I have read with interest some of the comments on the forum. We have a saying here in Ireland, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating", or in this case, the watching. Watch and marvel as 'The Dog Guru' teaches how he trains his Labradors here in Ireland, without E collars, force, intimidation, or threat, as I said before, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Warmest regards, Harry
Happy Thanksgiving, Harry! Now lemme put you right on your mawkish marketing pitch. We 'Mericans - North 'Mericans, including one of your correspondents here who won the 2011 Canadian Amateur - have heard it all before and actually are amused by it. Of course, we'd be much more likely to buy a retriever training DVD made by Mr. Bean or, God rest his soul, Father Ted (with Father Dougal as protege). Thing is, the blarney don't wear none too well on us (or US). So the proof being in the pudding, when it comes to what Scott's asked about "the Dog Guru"'s FT credentials, is in your own peroration (marketing spiel) actually more akin to nailing Jello to a tree. One last thing: My UK intel offers the most d*mning indictment of all apropos a DVD "three years in the making:" "It's too bloody American." Crikey. Alas, s/he was referring to the bombast and razzmatazz on your end - as we say in the States, it's not the trainer, it's the dog. Or director.

Cheers,

MG

PS Hey Eug, how 'bout that Albion! And a big Roll Tide, of course:wink:

#44 ·
He has done a fine job marketing himself.,,, and he probably is a very good dog trainer also. You don't have to win the U.S National every year to be a very good dog trainer.

There are good trainers all around the world. Most just don't have the time or resources to make a DVD. So Kudo's to those who can.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Pete

#48 ·
Are there two slots for addresses. Put your PO Box in one and your street address on the other. That's what I have to do. Don't get mail delivered to the house.

It just has one line. I don't get mail at the house either so I wanted to give the right address. I e-mailed them , just waiting on an answer.

#49 ·
I wonder what mailing company they will use to deliver in the U.S.?
For a lightweight package of 4 DVDs probably the air mail service provided by Royal Mail. When I've posted stuff to the US that's the route I take.

Just a laugh .... The Royal Mail sticker is quite an impressive thing in "gold" leaf showing HRHs head. One of my correspondents in the States was taken aback when his little girl rushed in from taking the post with "Daddy, Daddy, you've got a letter from the Queen of England!!"

Eug

#68 ·
Yes I ordered it on the 15th and still haven't got it. They don't give a tracking number out for these so I guess I'll just wait til it gets here. I talked to keith yesterday and he said it might be after the 1st of the year.

#52 ·
I'm always wary of people with accents selling me things. I think we Americans add extra credibility to someone with an English/irish lilt to their voice and that can get us in trouble. I'm sure the training videos are fine but do they really know more than we do? Isn't the bottom line just bringing the bird to you to eat? If a bird I shoot falls 200 yards away behind a 12 foot stone wall and a horse gate, maybe I need to hit the sporting clay range or go with a more powerful shot. I've been out four times this season and all the action took place within 40 yards. I think Richard Wolters books are all u need.

#58 · (Edited)
40 yards out is not very far! At Rhondeau Bay where I have hunted with my old dog there is a sorta boggy area first, then open water. My friend shot the bird 350 yds away. I handled Blackie to the bird. Actually once out into the open water he spotted the bird. He did that a couple of times that day. It is quite a swim but a sight to watch. There was a boat nearby in case of trouble.

Nice video Eug looked really neat. Would love to do it!!

As for people selling me things the worst are car salesmen and insurance people in Canada-ever pursing a sale!!:)IMHO

#53 · (Edited)
I'm always wary of people with accents selling me things. Me too, but unfortunately, as Americans don't have accents, :rolleyes: it's very hard for me to stop buying Colgate toothpaste.

I think we Americans add extra credibility to someone with an English/irish lilt to their voice and that can get us in trouble. The charming Mexican lady in the factory near Waterbury can attest to that. :D

Isn't the bottom line just bringing the bird to you to eat? Not if you run in competitive events it isn't, or hunt big water, or work your dogs for other shooters, or handle two or three dogs at once, and many here do just those things.

If a bird I shoot falls 200 yards away behind a 12 foot stone wall and a horse gate, maybe I need to hit the sporting clay range or go with a more powerful shot. If you've never wounded a bird and seen it fly on then you are a better shot than the Olympic trap gold medallist I picked up for on a driven shoot. Also a pricked bird can fly a lot further than 200 yards, believe me. The 12 foot wall is a definite difficulty; it's probably round a prison, and whilst there are likely many experienced shooters inside, they aren't the sort I want to mix with, so any dammed pheasant can stay where it dropped.

I think Richard Wolters books are all u need. Excellent works all of them. They've propped up many a kitchen table leg and never failed to give satisfaction.

I've been out four times this season and all the action took place within 40 yards. Well, some of us have done a few more days than that and our experience has been a tad different; the chap below ferinstance.

In a more serious vein, almost any published work can teach us something even if it's not always quite the lesson intended! With the DVD in question, like others I'm put off by the hype and subsequent evasiveness, but there will no doubt be something in there to provoke the little grey cells, so I await Jen's evaluation with interest.

Eug

#55 ·
I'm always wary of people with accents selling me things. Me too, but unfortunately, as Americans don't have accents, :rolleyes: it's very hard for me to stop buying Colgate toothpaste.
Eug! You coulda "smoked out" everything wrong with the preceding post by sending over a tube or two of Euthymol! That's the "rebuttal" I'm asking for through the post (Royal Mail);)

MG

PS Have you booked the Albion bandwagon for Europe 2013 yet?

First things first: for the "other football"

it's gotta go through Titletown, U.S.A.

#54 ·
Colonel; Fair reply. If you have seen the new video I would be interested in your thoughts as to it's worth as a guide.

Enjoyed the video clip. Made me wonder if all the travelers over the years to a certain famous lake in Scotland saw Nessie or a Chessie. Might be tough to tell at a distance after a visit to the pub.

#56 ·
I enjoyed that video clip. Nice dog work. Didn't think you had any Bay dogs by you. BTW, nice location for the blind. Actually a perfect location.

#57 · (Edited)
UH, Jen is the only one I know of who has ordered the DVD set.

Mike, You can imagine the chihiking I've been on the wrong end of after the debacle at Chelsea, not the least from my cousin Carole, an arch Throstle if ever there was one! More power to your elbow, I just wish it was our lot doing so well.

George, Chessies are increasingly popular with serious coastal wildfowlers. The video shows the Dee estuary in Wales, just about 40 miles up the road from Blimp Towers. The big barge was carrying Airbus wings for onward transport to France.

Eug

#60 ·
Eugene

I was surprised at seeing a Chessie because I haven't seen them in the few videos I looked at of British Field Trials and British shoots (Keeper's Day,etc.). I was also surprised at seeing the shooter with a black gun.

As for the coastal gunning, that estuary bears a remarkable resemblance to my own area. It looks like a small sand bar in front of the blind, low water, exposed tidal flats and I could swear those were brant in the background, they sure flew like them. If there was more Spartina up on the meadow it would look exactly like where I gun.

Those Chessies sure are great for that kind of work. I know that Echo can do that retrieve all day long.

#61 ·
I'm hooked, I would buy that DVD just for the wonderful scenery, exotic (to me) dog work, jumping stone walls and iron gates, up and down terrain and most importantly that great Irish accent. My wife and I are going to Ireland this Spring, I wonder if they have a schedule of field trials over there, or if there was a training set up I could take a day off our trip to check out?

BTW, I'm an older -well seasoned guy;-)

John

#62 ·
When my husband and I went to England we were fortunate enough to hook up with a local dog person....the work was amazing and very different from what we do here in the States....I'm sure you'll find someone over there to hook up with, but you might want to make sure your wife is okay with it! ;)

#65 ·
Careful what you ask for - Eug is liable to set you up in a hide inside Baskerville House using Centenary Square for tolling pigeons. And most likely would've made splendid use of Brum's "Forward" statue for handling lessons

had not some c̶i̶v̶i̶c̶-̶m̶i̶n̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶d̶i̶v̶i̶d̶u̶a̶l̶ prankster burnt it to the ground 10 years ago.

MG

#73 ·
I watched the first two dvd's lasnight. The first dvd is mostly starting with a young pup and the rights and wrongs of early age. As I don't have any dogs under 4 years I am mostly interested in the advanced training which is starting more in the 2nd dvd. He has some good training advice and shows working through some interesting problems with young dogs. I am anxious to watch the 3rd dvd tonight , as they say it's now getting down to the nitty gritty :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.