The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New training videos from Britain - Looks neat.

So let's talk about something important.

Jen, just what do you consider "older"?
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    So let's talk about something important.

Jen, just what do you consider "older"?
    hee hee... uhhhh, well, I'm 42, so older than me at this point. 20 years ago, the answer would have been much older than me.

And I thought all anybody on this forum cared to talk about was DOGS! I'll bet there are a lot of guys who just got a bit distracted from that subject. Count me among them, even though I think the video would be an interesting view.

Swack
    Last edited by Swack; 11-20-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    Jeff Swackhamer

I'm sure my husband will find this very amusing! I hope.

Red face Retriever Training Guru Style

Hi Jennifer, I was passed this thread by Keith Mathews. I am the Producer/Director of the 4 DVD set on "Retriever Training Guru Style". The production took three years to complete and was filmed in Ireland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark. The 4 DVD set concentrates on positive methods of training, where the dogs want and look forward to working, they are not compelled or forced into retrieving. Keith has a very natural style and his dogs are very willing and enthusiastic at what they do best, retrieving. Keith and I will be posting several 'tasters' or 'promos' of the DVD set and everything which is shown is contained in the production. If you have any additional questions please get in touch. Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    I'm sure my husband will find this very amusing! I hope.
    Hey now... it's just idle curiosity
    Darrin Greene

Jennifer
    Im not sure this guy has that many field champions. My friend tells me that the only champion that he has was bought in as a champion and is now 9 years old. He may have bred a few ch but I dont think he has made any up to champion level in the Uk. These DVD sets are often over priced and show dogs that are already trained doing the drills. They dont usually have a section in them for problems and everybody knows things dont go aswell as are shown in the DVD's. This set may be different as I havent seen them but i doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by labber View Post
    Jennifer
    Im not sure this guy has that many field champions. My friend tells me that the only champion that he has was bought in as a champion and is now 9 years old. He may have bred a few ch but I dont think he has made any up to champion level in the Uk. These DVD sets are often over priced and show dogs that are already trained doing the drills. They dont usually have a section in them for problems and everybody knows things dont go aswell as are shown in the DVD's. This set may be different as I havent seen them but i doubt it.
    Thanks Labber. Sounds like both you and I are going off of incomplete information and need some facts. Maybe Harry Cook would please chime in on this issue?

Although, I did chat with Keith directly over facebook yesterday and I asked him point blank if he had made up and FTCHs and he said yes, then sent me his resume, which I cut and pasted part of into an earlier post. That part of the resume did kind of gloss over detail, but maybe Harry Cook can further enlighten us. Don't think $150 is all that expensive for a complete puppy to adult DVD set. That seems to be the going rate here in the states. Plus, looks like Keith's set is a BIT more attractive scenery than some we have here.

But it's true, would be nice to get some detail on whether he has made up FTCH and how many.
    Last edited by Jennifer Henion; 11-21-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Hi Jennifer, I just read your latest post and the one from Labber. It would be interesting to know where Labber get's his information, because he is obviously misinformed, Keith's success on the competition field in Ireland is well documented, as is his reputation as an Internationally renouned canine behaviourist. Keith's remarkable ability to train is demonstrated on the DVDs, step by step as the dogs are trained, the DVD's show problems and how they are fixed.

As the producer/director of the programmes I came to it with an open mind, I watched other DVD's which have been produced, these did indeed use already trained dogs and anyone, even I could make a DVD around that. This DVD set is however very different. At the outset only puppies were trained and their advancement filmed as their training progressed. Keith deliberately chose puppies with 'soft' temperaments, hard going temperaments in order to demonstrate on-screen how to train dogs of all temperaments to the highest standard. No harsh methods were used in the training, no E-collars, no punishment, only Keiths ability to release the dogs natural instinct The reason it took 3 years to make was because the progression from puppy to fully trained gundogs had to happen in 'real-time'. In addition I sought to make it visually engaging, hence the film locations used. I understand that you have ordered the DVD's and I have no doubt that you will find them informative, entertaining and above great value for money. I realise that Keith is not as well known in the USA, but this DVD set will change that. Warmest regards. Harry

don't mean to cast asperisions, but WHO in the USA sits a dog on his left side and send with his right hand ????

BobbyB
    cajun