The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New training videos from Britain - Looks neat.

I wonder what mailing company they will use to deliver in the U.S.?
    For a lightweight package of 4 DVDs probably the air mail service provided by Royal Mail. When I've posted stuff to the US that's the route I take.

Just a laugh .... The Royal Mail sticker is quite an impressive thing in "gold" leaf showing HRHs head. One of my correspondents in the States was taken aback when his little girl rushed in from taking the post with "Daddy, Daddy, you've got a letter from the Queen of England!!"

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Has anyone ordered this? How long did it take to get to you?

My husband ordered it for me as a Christmas present. But as is typical, didn't order it til 3 or 4 days before Christmas. I'll let you know when it gets here. Did you order it?

I'm always wary of people with accents selling me things. I think we Americans add extra credibility to someone with an English/irish lilt to their voice and that can get us in trouble. I'm sure the training videos are fine but do they really know more than we do? Isn't the bottom line just bringing the bird to you to eat? If a bird I shoot falls 200 yards away behind a 12 foot stone wall and a horse gate, maybe I need to hit the sporting clay range or go with a more powerful shot. I've been out four times this season and all the action took place within 40 yards. I think Richard Wolters books are all u need.

I'm always wary of people with accents selling me things. Me too, but unfortunately, as Americans don't have accents, it's very hard for me to stop buying Colgate toothpaste.

I think we Americans add extra credibility to someone with an English/irish lilt to their voice and that can get us in trouble. The charming Mexican lady in the factory near Waterbury can attest to that.

Isn't the bottom line just bringing the bird to you to eat? Not if you run in competitive events it isn't, or hunt big water, or work your dogs for other shooters, or handle two or three dogs at once, and many here do just those things.

If a bird I shoot falls 200 yards away behind a 12 foot stone wall and a horse gate, maybe I need to hit the sporting clay range or go with a more powerful shot. If you've never wounded a bird and seen it fly on then you are a better shot than the Olympic trap gold medallist I picked up for on a driven shoot. Also a pricked bird can fly a lot further than 200 yards, believe me. The 12 foot wall is a definite difficulty; it's probably round a prison, and whilst there are likely many experienced shooters inside, they aren't the sort I want to mix with, so any dammed pheasant can stay where it dropped.

I think Richard Wolters books are all u need. Excellent works all of them. They've propped up many a kitchen table leg and never failed to give satisfaction.

I've been out four times this season and all the action took place within 40 yards. Well, some of us have done a few more days than that and our experience has been a tad different; the chap below ferinstance.

In a more serious vein, almost any published work can teach us something even if it's not always quite the lesson intended! With the DVD in question, like others I'm put off by the hype and subsequent evasiveness, but there will no doubt be something in there to provoke the little grey cells, so I await Jen's evaluation with interest.

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 12-27-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Colonel; Fair reply. If you have seen the new video I would be interested in your thoughts as to it's worth as a guide.

Enjoyed the video clip. Made me wonder if all the travelers over the years to a certain famous lake in Scotland saw Nessie or a Chessie. Might be tough to tell at a distance after a visit to the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    I'm always wary of people with accents selling me things. Me too, but unfortunately, as Americans don't have accents, it's very hard for me to stop buying Colgate toothpaste.
    Eug! You coulda "smoked out" everything wrong with the preceding post by sending over a tube or two of Euthymol! That's the "rebuttal" I'm asking for through the post (Royal Mail)

MG

PS Have you booked the Albion bandwagon for Europe 2013 yet?

First things first: for the "other football"

it's gotta go through Titletown, U.S.A.

I enjoyed that video clip. Nice dog work. Didn't think you had any Bay dogs by you. BTW, nice location for the blind. Actually a perfect location.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

UH, Jen is the only one I know of who has ordered the DVD set.

Mike, You can imagine the chihiking I've been on the wrong end of after the debacle at Chelsea, not the least from my cousin Carole, an arch Throstle if ever there was one! More power to your elbow, I just wish it was our lot doing so well.

George, Chessies are increasingly popular with serious coastal wildfowlers. The video shows the Dee estuary in Wales, just about 40 miles up the road from Blimp Towers. The big barge was carrying Airbus wings for onward transport to France.

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 12-27-2012 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerdutch View Post
    I'm always wary of people with accents selling me things. I think we Americans add extra credibility to someone with an English/irish lilt to their voice and that can get us in trouble. I'm sure the training videos are fine but do they really know more than we do? Isn't the bottom line just bringing the bird to you to eat? If a bird I shoot falls 200 yards away behind a 12 foot stone wall and a horse gate, maybe I need to hit the sporting clay range or go with a more powerful shot. I've been out four times this season and all the action took place within 40 yards. I think Richard Wolters books are all u need.
    40 yards out is not very far! At Rhondeau Bay where I have hunted with my old dog there is a sorta boggy area first, then open water. My friend shot the bird 350 yds away. I handled Blackie to the bird. Actually once out into the open water he spotted the bird. He did that a couple of times that day. It is quite a swim but a sight to watch. There was a boat nearby in case of trouble.

Nice video Eug looked really neat. Would love to do it!!

As for people selling me things the worst are car salesmen and insurance people in Canada-ever pursing a sale!!IMHO
    Last edited by Mary Lynn Metras; 12-27-2012 at 08:53 AM.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray