The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: New training videos from Britain - Looks neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    I'm always wary of people with accents selling me things. Me too, but unfortunately, as Americans don't have accents, it's very hard for me to stop buying Colgate toothpaste.

I think we Americans add extra credibility to someone with an English/irish lilt to their voice and that can get us in trouble. The charming Mexican lady in the factory near Waterbury can attest to that.

Isn't the bottom line just bringing the bird to you to eat? Not if you run in competitive events it isn't, or hunt big water, or work your dogs for other shooters, or handle two or three dogs at once, and many here do just those things.

If a bird I shoot falls 200 yards away behind a 12 foot stone wall and a horse gate, maybe I need to hit the sporting clay range or go with a more powerful shot. If you've never wounded a bird and seen it fly on then you are a better shot than the Olympic trap gold medallist I picked up for on a driven shoot. Also a pricked bird can fly a lot further than 200 yards, believe me. The 12 foot wall is a definite difficulty; it's probably round a prison, and whilst there are likely many experienced shooters inside, they aren't the sort I want to mix with, so any dammed pheasant can stay where it dropped.

I think Richard Wolters books are all u need. Excellent works all of them. They've propped up many a kitchen table leg and never failed to give satisfaction.

I've been out four times this season and all the action took place within 40 yards. Well, some of us have done a few more days than that and our experience has been a tad different; the chap below ferinstance.

In a more serious vein, almost any published work can teach us something even if it's not always quite the lesson intended! With the DVD in question, like others I'm put off by the hype and subsequent evasiveness, but there will no doubt be something in there to provoke the little grey cells, so I await Jen's evaluation with interest.

Eug
    Does the dog actually get on the barge? They should include video of a jet taking off and landing. This is all in good humor btw.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    OK, maybe "hook up" isn't the best terminology.
    I know what you mean, but "hook up" doesn't meant that anymore...I can't get used to it...

Old Lady Regards...
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mlp View Post
    Yes I ordered it on the 15th and still haven't got it. They don't give a tracking number out for these so I guess I'll just wait til it gets here. I talked to keith yesterday and he said it might be after the 1st of the year.
    I received the dvd's today. gonna start watching tonight, 4 dvd's so may take a while

Quote Originally Posted by mlp View Post
    I received the dvd's today. gonna start watching tonight, 4 dvd's so may take a while
    mlp,

I'm anxious to hear your impressions of the dvd set. I like the concept of following the dogs for 3 years as they progress through training. I think the differences (US vs. UK) in training techniques as well as the differences in training goals would be interesting to see as well. I agree with Jennifer H. that watching good looking dogs in beautiful countryside might make the purchase worthwhile and any nuggets of wisdom would be a bonus!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

I watched the first two dvd's lasnight. The first dvd is mostly starting with a young pup and the rights and wrongs of early age. As I don't have any dogs under 4 years I am mostly interested in the advanced training which is starting more in the 2nd dvd. He has some good training advice and shows working through some interesting problems with young dogs. I am anxious to watch the 3rd dvd tonight , as they say it's now getting down to the nitty gritty

Never saw feedback on the 3rd and 4th DVDs?
    -Barton Ramsey

So, where is that list of the FTCH dogs this "guru" fellow made in the UK? Titles is titles, as they say. Very curious as to how many titles it takes to be a "guru."
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast View Post
    So, where is that list of the FTCH dogs this "guru" fellow made in the UK? Titles is titles, as they say. Very curious as to how many titles it takes to be a "guru."
    Yeah, you want to know if he has any pelts on the wall.

Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

If each CD has a bottle of Jameson taped to the case I think I could make it through the series. After watching it and drinking I'd be training using my Irish voice......oooooo-ver? bahh-ak!....

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Lynes View Post
    I always think that with all the practice those British dogs get jumping and climbing fences, they must be a little trickier to keep kenneled
    I taught mine to jump hurdles (low then high hurdles) when I was doing heeling work at the high school track. That was STUPID I can't keep him inside a 4 foot fence, now it takes 6.
    Dick