The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: New AKC Health Foundation Funded Study - CCL Rupture - Plasma Collagen

Thumbs up New AKC Health Foundation Funded Study - CCL Rupture - Plasma Collagen

University of Wisconsin - Madison
    Use of a platelet rich plasma-collagen scaffold to stimulate healing of cruciate rupture in dogs

"Current surgical treatments are stabilization procedures that do not directly treat the damaged or ruptured ligament. Our main goal is to develop a safe and effective therapy that will prevent progressive tearing of ligament fibers, enable ligament healing, and block arthritis progression in affected dogs."

http://www.akcchf.org/research/funde...arch/1762.html
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Boy, that sure would be nice to have a non surgical successful treatment.

They wanted to do that to my shoulder ...at 900.00 per shot......

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dufour View Post
    They wanted to do that to my shoulder ...at 900.00 per shot......
    If it works, it's worth it!

I've just had shoulder surgery. Four procedures one operation, $23 something K, plus the rehab. Not fun!
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I am pleased to see the AKC health foundation helping to fund this research.
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com

The results should be interesting but the amount of the grant may not be large enough to do a large scale study. They do not identify how cases are to be selected or what procedure(s) will be used to verify CCL injury. If they only do late stage unstable stifles I would not expect to see much efficacy. Hopefully they will identify and follow a significant number of early stage strains or partial tears where PRP might actually be of great benefit. I have surgically observed enough unstable stifles with complete tears and often associated meniscal tears to be skeptical that any type of regenerative therapy will be successful. Additionally to really evaluate efficacy those cases should be followed for 2 or more years which will probably not happen due extended time to complete the study and cost.

Anyone truly should consider a donation to AKC Canine Health Foundation specifically targeted for this study.

Insurance ( human) will not pay anything toward it....experimental they indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    The results should be interesting but the amount of the grant may not be large enough to do a large scale study. They do not identify how cases are to be selected or what procedure(s) will be used to verify CCL injury. If they only do late stage unstable stifles I would not expect to see much efficacy. Hopefully they will identify and follow a significant number of early stage strains or partial tears where PRP might actually be of great benefit. I have surgically observed enough unstable stifles with complete tears and often associated meniscal tears to be skeptical that any type of regenerative therapy will be successful. Additionally to really evaluate efficacy those cases should be followed for 2 or more years which will probably not happen due extended time to complete the study and cost.

Anyone truly should consider a donation to AKC Canine Health Foundation specifically targeted for this study.
    I agree and would be nice to see a write-up in the RFTN or on their web site publicizing this study as well as the retriever community donating to the study given how many of us owning performance retrievers have been impacted.
    Last edited by frontier; 11-20-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)