The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: over worked dog?

Default over worked dog?

I am looking for some opinions. I train my dog 2 -3 days per week. He is a YLM with above average energy levels. He is 3 years old and this is his second real season hunting.
    My dog duck hunted on Friday, 14 retrieves. We hunted Saturday and there were 21 retrieves. These were not easy, but nothing out of the ordinary. He was tired after each days hunt. We came home Saturday and he got a full nights sleep. Looked good on Sunday morning, lots of energy. I took him on an afternoon Pheasant hunt on Sunday afternoon. He was out running around for 2 1/2 hours. The place we hunted had ditches, creeks, lava rock, and lots of mud. We got home on Sunday and he was walking like his feet were sore, my thought was the lava rock. When I went out to feed him on Monday morning he was constantly whining, looked like he was not well, could barely stand up, back arched up, barely could walk with very stiff legs. He almost fell over a couple of times. I took him to the vet, where he stayed all day. No fever. They gave him an anti-inflamatory med and made sure he took in fluids. They x-rayed his hips and elbows, all was good. They drew blood but did not run any tests yet. As of Monday night the thought was he was over worked, extremely sore, maybe muscle cramps. He came home with the idea he will get a little better each day, if he does not get better, does not drink water, or does not eat, go back to the vet.

Currently, and after two days, he is drinking water, eating food, normal urine, normal bowel movements. His attitude is much better today, looks happy and is wagging his tail. His physical movement is slightly better, but still difficult for him to just stand up. What are your thoughts? Overworked? Possibly bit by something? Got into some type of poison? Thanks for your replys.

Jason

did you train 2-3 days per week all summer or just start now that the hunting season is here?
    3 mornings of ducks and an afternoon upland will have the most hard muscled and roaded dog dragging.
    You know, they don't know when to stop. They count on us for that.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    did you train 2-3 days per week all summer or just start now that the hunting season is here?
    3 mornings of ducks and an afternoon upland will have the most hard muscled and roaded dog dragging.
    You know, they don't know when to stop. They count on us for that.
    Both dog and handler should be conditioned for the field. As Ken suggested, not to be started the week before the season.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Thanks for the input. He has been getting activity for the last 2 months - does not get much in the summer because of the heat. I train him when the evenings start cooling down. Can he be in better shape - yes. Is he is good shape - yes. Apparently not good enough. He hunted two mornings and an afternoon. From the replies, it sounds like this would be normal for an overworked dog? Walking stiff legged, back arched, barely able to stand up?

Quote Originally Posted by dk huntr View Post
    Thanks for the input. He has been getting activity for the last 2 months - does not get much in the summer because of the heat. I train him when the evenings start cooling down. Can he be in better shape - yes. Is he is good shape - yes. Apparently not good enough. He hunted two mornings and an afternoon. From the replies, it sounds like this would be normal for an overworked dog? Walking stiff legged, back arched, barely able to stand up?
    No. I am not a vet but what you describe is similar to what someone in my training group had. The dog was treated for a muscle strain, rest and anti inflammatories were given. Symptoms were very much like what you describe. Now the dog is fine but there were trips to the vet and vet neurologist.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Walking stiff legged, back arched, barely able to stand up?

I know many people that would fit that description....some mornings have to look no farther than the nearest mirror
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

It sounds like he is over worked.

If you went to the gym 2-3 days a week and worked out for an hour or so each day you'd be in pretty good shape... Yes??

Now run 15 or 20, 100 yard wind sprints and and a few laps in the pool....

Get up tomorrow and do it again....

Next day run a marathon.... Still in good shape???

You just asked your dog to do that, and he/she did.

These dogs will work themselves to death if you ask them to.... It's happened

Everything in moderation.

Randy
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I know many people that would fit that description....some mornings have to look no farther than the nearest mirror
    Thanks for the laugh!

I would check with your vet?
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Did the vet replenish more than just fluids? Same as a person at the hospital....they would get fluids, electrolytes (relieve muscle cramps & for depletion) tests run, and a blood sample for tests. Has he recommended or administered anythng else?
    i know after a weekend of December SD pheasant hunting, the dogs paws can be sore for quite a few days after....as well as my legs
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)