The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Books - Wolters, Milner & Dokken - if you could pick 2?

Default Books - Wolters, Milner & Dokken - if you could pick 2?

If you could pick 2 out of these three books, which two would it be?

Wolters - Game Dog
    Milner - Retriver Training: A Back to Basics Approach
    Dokken - Tom Dokken's Retriever Training: The Complete Guide to Developing Your Hunting Dog

I have trained a Labrador hunting companion in the past and I did a pretty good job if I do say so myself.
    I'm older and hopfully wiser now just starting with my second Lab ( she is 7 weeks!)

I would invest the money in Bill Hillmans Training a Retriever Puppy video. Couple of the books mentioned are antiquated and todays methods are much more productive. Just my opinion
    ENJOY THE JOURNEY!!!

None of the above.

I'd get Lardy's articles volumes 1-3 (http://www.totalretriever.com/index....d=98&Itemid=74)
    I'd recommend the Hillman DVD
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I'd strongly suggest Mike Lardy's Volume I articles as one of your reading choices - available via the banner at the top of the page for Total Retriever.com
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Several threads on training materials, just do a search. The most popular are Mike Lardy Total Retriever Training articles & DVDs (my personal choice), Evan Graham's Smartworks, and Rick Stawski's Fowl Dogs DVDs. These are geared more toward the hunt tester/field trailer but I wouldn't train any other way even if all I wanted was a hunting dog.

Out of the three you mentioned I am only familiar with Wolters and Milner's books. Both have their really good tidbits of information but Wolters is very outdated and perhaps the same can be said about Milner. I do like Milner's book. It is simple and it I think it will produce a fantastic hunting dog.

Why limit yourself to these three books though? There's a lot better material out there IMO. For puppy stuff I used Bill Hillmann's "Training a retriever puppy" and "Fetch Command" and for advanced stuff I have used Mike Lardy's TRT. Both of those are sponsors of RTF so just click on the ads at the top of the page. However, I tend to read everything I can get my hands on from Milner's current "positive only" stuff to old school training books.

I would go with Milner, Wolters, and Dokken in that order.....all good books depending on what type of training you wish to do.....no e-collar to using e-collar, in order of the books I selected.

Thanks for the feedback. Lardy seems to be a popular choice. I'll have to check him out.
    I try to collect as much reading material as I can both hardcopy and softcopy to apply various techniques and points of view to my training.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum Frog View Post
    If you could pick 2 out of these three books, which two would it be?!
    are you trying to level a coffee table?

Lainee nailed it, vol 1, 2, & 3 from Mike Lardy!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I like the Lardy articles along with this one by Cherylon Loveland: http://www.gundogsupply.com/bkk-0523.html.

The advice I got (and didn't follow at first) was to soak up as much knowledge as you can from various sources but stick with one training program and follow it to a tee. From a new trainer to a new trainer, I am giving you the same advice. Pick one and stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum Frog View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Lardy seems to be a popular choice. I'll have to check him out.
    I try to collect as much reading material as I can both hardcopy and softcopy to apply various techniques and points of view to my training.