RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Video Camera as Training Tool

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Mark Littlejohn 
#1 ·
How many of you use a video camera as a training tool ?
I noticed my dog just developed a slow sit (looping), so i had it video recorded so i could analyze what was happening. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CG6SdBet84
Now to take corrective measures,,Any Critique welcomed..

#2 ·
I'm no expert but on whistle 1, 3, 4 (couldn't see her well enough in the last bit) she seems to be starting to quit/loop before you blow the whistle..... thoughts?

#3 ·
I have used video as a training tool for nearly 20 years. Not only to track dog behavior, but also to correct things I'm doing as a handler. I think it's helped a great deal in both areas.

As for your video, let me first say it was done better than most amatuer video, especially when the cameraman moved to keep the dog in sight. Your handling was good, but too fast. Welcome to the club! Most people do that. You're right; the loop happens because of a slow sit. My question is how much of that do you tolerate before a correction, and what correction do you usually make?

Evan

#5 ·
I just noticed the slow sit in the last few training sessions,and wanted to see them on video before i take any corrective actions. Reading the dog i think Stop on Whistle Command Sit Nick and Cast....Re handling to fast you are quite right i am working on that,,I will pass on your comment to the Cameralady she did a excellent job ..

#6 · (Edited)
Being a High School football and baseball coach Ive learned over the last 31 yrs the value of video taping our athletes. Over 15 yrs ago while watching an endzone shot of one of our high school football games, I realized that the rear shot along with a shot out in the field would give a valuable perspective of the things that both you and your dog were doing mechanically. Sylvia "Jollydog" McClure and I shot both angles for both the Rorem and Aycock/Farmer clinics. Great teaching tool for handling dogs. Video teaches the handler how the dog responds to each and every cast/or movement. I've been very fortunate to be a part of a video team that has captured the handling of a "who's who" list of fabulous "students of the game" from all over the country to likes of RTFers Lainee Mulholland, Howard Niemi, Ted Shih, Sylvia McClure, Dale Willard, along with a few other incredible amateurs like Joanne Mackey, Larry Bozeman, Yvonne Hayes, Mr. Knoblauch, Dave Mealman, the Caires, Mark Rosenbloom, and the amazing Judy Aycock, just to name a few; well a lot!!!
Enough said. Rorem, Aycock, and Farmer have made video a valuable part of their fantastic clinics.

#7 ·
I use my video cam a lot. It has helped me become a better trainer. I get lots of constructive comments which has also benefited me greatly. Occasionally I used to get some less than helpful comments but I just ignored them.

#8 ·
I use my video cam a lot. It has helped me become a better trainer. I get lots of constructive comments which has also benefited me greatly.
I enjoy your videos, Wayne. There really is a great deal to gain from assessing our own work that way, as well as having others point out things we may have missed. A digital camcorder can now be bought very cheaply, as well as a lighweight tripod. You then have a very good assessment tool. More and more, many training questions brought to discussion forums could be more accurately addressed if there were video provided to really see what is going on, as well.

Evan

#11 ·
Eric,

I noticed there were foregroun focus issues on some videos. If your camera has a manual focus setting you can override, or focus past closer objects like tall grass to focus on your destinations; blind locations or marks. Just a suggestion. I enjoyed the dog work!

Evan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.