The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Challenging the blind

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    For those of you reading this thread, I suggest you go to:

The AKC Judges Website,
    http://www.akc.org/judges_directory/, and check to see how often a poster has judged field trials

And

The Entry Express Website,
    https://www.entryexpress.net/LoggedIn/search.aspx and see how often a poster has competed in field trials.

Then you can see whether the poster has the knowledge and experience to support his/her opinions.
    I know of at least one "judge" who would pass both of your tests. I wouldn't run under him again if the trial were across the street from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    True. And just because someone judges a lot, doesn't mean they are a good judge. It just means that they are available and willing to hold the book. there is one judge that I have told my pro that if I ever enter another FT under that person again, just to remind me of my feelings... because I would get more pleasure from flushing my entry fee down the toilet one dollar bill at a time and watching the swirl, than I do from running one of his/her tests. They are not a bad person or competitor, just some very weird ideas of judging.
    Good point Susan... And by the same token, just because someone has been to the line with a dog many times doesn't mean that person has any idea whatsoever why a dog does what it does. Or how to set up a test to get any kind of separation... Or that they know anything about time management. Or that they think about the mechanics of a trial. Many times a lot of EE entries could mean that person just has someone train their dog, then showed up and ran the trials... How would anyone know if they ever really learned anything?
    Bill Davis

Good Post Bill
    Ed Wojciechowski

"GUNNER" MH
    "DASH" MH
    "TAZ" HRCH,RN,MH,MNH
    "Duffy" HRCH,UH, MH, HRC 500 points RIP
    "Kodi" SH, WCX- HRCH 6th Std Poodle
    "GINA" JH STD Poodle
    "Heather" HRCH, SH
    "CHIEF" JH,WCX,RN,SHR STD Poodle

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Good point Susan... And by the same token, just because someone has been to the line with a dog many times doesn't mean that person has any idea whatsoever why a dog does what it does. Or how to set up a test to get any kind of separation... Or that they know anything about time management. Or that they think about the mechanics of a trial. Many times a lot of EE entries could mean that person just has someone train their dog, then showed up and ran the trials... How would anyone know if they ever really learned anything?

Very true Bill. Nothing like training a dog on our own and figuring out why they did what they did, or why they didn't so something, etc. in training. And learning to read a dog and its behaviors. Your post made me think of one judge I know that I swear will get down on all fours and measure the height of the cover... never trained a dog on his/her own. Not sure they ever even raised a puppy. The tests are pretty much all training tests.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Originally Posted by JusticeDog
    what you are seeing is just a discussion of different points of view regarding judging and the interpreation of the different rulebooks.

Personally, I like my winners to be "the Total Package" of being excellent marking dogs, and great team members on the blinds.

Unless I have failed to keep up, I believe rule book is singular .
    Sorry Marv... bad choice of words. I was actually referring to the HT and FT rule book since many posters come from the HT perspective and are most familiar with that book... i should have clarified that better.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    If this were a true open forum where ideas and opinions are welcomed, one shouldn't have to come with a resume in order to express an opinion.....let people decide who they want to listen to and who they dont...when people are challenged due to their lack of expertise or experience they tend to leave the RTF...we have already witnessed what that has done to participation on the RTF...

and I will save everyone the time on EE...I ran one trial with two different dogs in 2011...went out in the first series of the Amateur....

I for one welcome everyone's opinion from novice to expert...kind of what makes the RTF enjoyable
    I agree with this statement and in order to learn and start in FT or HT you need to start by making opinions about what is presented (right or wrong), ask questions, participate and listen. How else will you learn. I have not run any FT except 2 QAs. I enjoyed it immensely and want to continue to learn more despite my less experience than some. I am persistent. As the one writer posted - it is about you and your dog! Have fun! Thanks to Ted and you all who posted for your input.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    I agree with this statement and in order to learn and start in FT or HT you need to start by making opinions about what is presented (right or wrong), ask questions, participate and listen. How else will you learn. I have not run any FT except 2 QAs. I enjoyed it immensely and want to continue to learn more despite my less experience than some. I am persistent. As the one writer posted - it is about you and your dog! Have fun! Thanks to Ted and you all who posted for your input.
    The rule book is readily available to the novice. It should be read and reread until a thorough understanding of what it contains is in your possession. At this point you are in a position to possibly grasp the nature of the diverging views and ask a question or two, but are still a long way away from being able to offer insightful commentary.........and perhaps more listening than participation might better serve you on your quest to learn.

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 11-25-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    The rule book is readily available to the novice. It should be read and reread until a thorough understanding of what it contains is in your possession. At this point you are in a position to possibly grasp the nature of the diverging views and ask a question or two, but are still a long way away from being able to offer insightful commentary.........and perhaps more listening than participation might better serve you on your quest to learn.

john
    Those are pretty rude and condescending comments. Nice contribution.
    Allen Dillard

HRCH Play It Again, Sam MH *** "Sam"
    Scout's High Calibre "Colt"
    Slippin' Up the Holler "Dooley"
    Lucky Number Seven VII "Layla"

It was not meant to be such, I'm sorry if it sounded that way........

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 11-25-2012 at 08:04 AM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post

john
    Thank you I have downloaded the AKC Field Trial rule book and I purchased Retriever Field Trial judging. I am working on understanding both of those sources. So is it another book you are referring too? I think I should have stated that a different way rather than say how else can you learn. Well there are a variety of ways to learn and the internet forum would not be my first choice-no offence to anyone but there is a plethy of knowledge on this site but you should not rely on this as your main source. It is good to discuss and put your points down stating how you see and would do Ted's diagram, ask questions and learn from the discussion. IMO Thank you
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray