The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EMT GEL --- Good Stuff?

Default EMT GEL --- Good Stuff?

Hunted pheasants three days in a row. Nose to the grindstone, raw and bleeding. This stuff coupled with neo-sporin appeared to help greatly. Briar Looks like Rudolf, but I think it made the difference between hunting him or leaving at duck camp.

A pointer dog friend had some and swears by it. Both dawgs put in some miles in some tough cover. We had a nice shoot. Mallards on Saturday, and chickens the last few days.

Bramble (dark nose) never had this issue. It will be part of my first aid kit, unless there is something better.

And, as part of the hunt, the pointer ran into one skunk, and the retriever one porcupine. Made for a fun evening de--smelling, and de-quilling.

Gotta love love chasing birds, dogs, and wild places!
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

EMT gel should be in every first aid kit! It is amazing. I mainly use it for healing cut pads but any cuts or scrapes are quickly taken care of.
    "A dog has nothing, yet is seldom dissatisfied."

Name:
    Chris Krause

EMT gel and spray are always in my first aid kit. One of my dogs had a sebaceous cyst rupture. We applied EMT and the open wound healed in just a few days. Great stuff!

Laurie

Truth is, I've used both the gel and spray on myself a couple of times over the years. It is definitely worth having in the kit.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

I was told by someone ( Ithink my vet) to not use neo sporine but to use poly sporin instead. Anyone know for sure?

EMT is good stuff. I'M fighting the same problem with my oldest dog right now and instead of using the EMT which I have, I'm using Corona ointment and it's working great also. Just another goody for the bag

I've never really had good luck with EMT gel..... I stopped buying it. Quite honestly, couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. I think a couple of times it actually interferred with healing, and getting the residue off was a problem... anyone else have this experience?
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Along this same line, has anyone seen any advantages to using the liquid bandages?

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    I've never really had good luck with EMT gel..... I stopped buying it. Quite honestly, couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. I think a couple of times it actually interferred with healing, and getting the residue off was a problem... anyone else have this experience?

What I did find, is that it appeared to be "on the spot" first aid. Sticky, kept re-applying as it is water soluble. Not sure about long term healing, but his nose is much better. Could be the three day rest??

John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Can someone provide a reasonably priced source for both EMT Gel & Spray?
    Thanks,
    G. Lee
    Timberpond Retrievers