RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

EMT GEL --- Good Stuff?

5K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Schmemdog 
#1 ·
Hunted pheasants three days in a row. Nose to the grindstone, raw and bleeding. This stuff coupled with neo-sporin appeared to help greatly. Briar Looks like Rudolf, but I think it made the difference between hunting him or leaving at duck camp.

A pointer dog friend had some and swears by it. Both dawgs put in some miles in some tough cover. We had a nice shoot. Mallards on Saturday, and chickens the last few days.

Bramble (dark nose) never had this issue. It will be part of my first aid kit, unless there is something better.

And, as part of the hunt, the pointer ran into one skunk, and the retriever one porcupine. Made for a fun evening de--smelling, and de-quilling.

Gotta love love chasing birds, dogs, and wild places!

#4 ·
Truth is, I've used both the gel and spray on myself a couple of times over the years. It is definitely worth having in the kit.

#15 ·
gels and ointments aren't always used correctly, which is why a bunch of places say not to use them. Puncture wounds and unclean wounds are hindered by pretty much anything that isn't warm water, soap and air for example.

I use hibiclens (or dawn if I don't have hibiclens handy) and warm water for just about everything now. Have only had limited experience with EMT gel, but I could see it working well for worn feet and noses as a protectant, less useful for deeper or bigger cuts.

#6 ·
EMT is good stuff. I'M fighting the same problem with my oldest dog right now and instead of using the EMT which I have, I'm using Corona ointment and it's working great also. Just another goody for the bag :)

#7 ·
I've never really had good luck with EMT gel..... I stopped buying it. Quite honestly, couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. I think a couple of times it actually interferred with healing, and getting the residue off was a problem... anyone else have this experience?

#9 ·
What I did find, is that it appeared to be "on the spot" first aid. Sticky, kept re-applying as it is water soluble. Not sure about long term healing, but his nose is much better. Could be the three day rest??

#8 ·
Along this same line, has anyone seen any advantages to using the liquid bandages?

Sue Puff

#11 ·
Holy cow. I would be afraid of being bit by the most friendly dog in the world. You know what I'm talking about if you have ever used that stuff on yourself. I might side with animal cruelty for anyone that uses that stuff on a dog. I am not sure what the pain of delivering a baby is like, but that might be worse than anything I have ever experienced.

I love EMT gel. I have had great results on all kinds of cuts.

#12 ·
#13 ·
At our local vet I can get the spray or the get for around 10 to 15 bucks I was advised to use the spray and as far as taking it off it just wears off after time

Why would you want to take it off early?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.