The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Retrieving question

Default Retrieving question

I have an 11wk YLF that is a retrieving full when it comes to squeaky toys or water bottles but when it comes to canvas dummies she shows no desire with them. Any advice on how to change from the toys to the bumpers.
    thanks

Stop using squeaky toys and water bottles. This teaches a hard mouth. Be as patient as you can with retrieves. You want to concentrate on obedience training now...the retrieves will come later. As young as your dog is, have fun and let the pup be a pup. Throw LIMITED retrieves with a bumper (2-3 PER DAY), if she doesn't want it, don't fret. I will normally throw a couple bumpers...after a small 5-10 minute obedience lesson. Get excited about the bumper, play chase games, and throw short. Have fun with your pup during this young stage in her life.

Yes, Purchase the Sound Beginnings Retriever Training dvd today from the website in the link below. It will guide you through what you need to do with your puppy right now and then some. Smart investment for you right now. The author used to spend winters near you in Madison where other knowledgeable retriever folks also camp out. May want to make friends there if you need a mentor.

http://www.ybsmedia.com/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=66
    Last edited by Breck; 12-10-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I wouldn't use squeaky toys as retrieving toys. Personnaly I would put those away all together. Get a few good quality chew toys, like nylabone or similar. But do not use those for retrieving either. Just swap it for whatever you do not want the pup to chew on.

At that age I would use a bird wing, or a small canvas bumper for retrieving playing in a hallway of the house. Since there is currently no interest in the bumper you threw I would start with the bird wing. Just don't let her chew it up.

Good luck.

For your immediate need buy a few paint rollers. Not the large ones but a size or two down. Puppies like these. When you need to make them go further add a little silicone sealant to the inside to make them heavier.

Grazie

Thanks all, I really think that training the wife and two daughters in harder than training the dog. I started out with deer antlers and nylabone but everytime they go shopping, a new toy ends up in the floor for her to play with.....
    Thanks for all the advise, i am sure that I will have alot more questions as I go.

Let the wife and daughter give the puppy all the toys they want. However, these will never be used by you for retrieving. All of your retrieving tools, bumpers etc are YOURS, used for retrieving only and kept out of dogs reach and sight otherwise.

Grazie