The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for trainer in NC

All of the trainers mentioned are good guys. Suggest you talk to several and spend a day watching them and their dogs. You'll get a lot out of the experience and that may help you pick the trainer best for you and your pup. And remember that part of the job will also be to "train the handler."
    Good luck with the new pup.

ENC sent you a PM.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

HRCH Wag'in Codie Jo SH
    HRCH Mossbend's Remington Deluxe
    HRCH Double Barrel's Dust Cloud JH
    HR Doc's Heavy Artillery

Woody Thurman

I have spent a few times training with Dave Wilson and he is a great trainer and a good guy. He will help you out.
    HRCH Werts's Rusty Explorer Drake SH

Terry Price from Oakridge Kennel is the way to go.

Dave Wilson and Juan Rosas Goldleaf Retrievers.There's a hunt test coming to Cheraw, Sc 12/07/12 go watch and you will see the attitudes of there dogs and how well they do.

joel porter at crown creek kennels in cherryville, nc
    http://www.crowncreekkennels.com/

Terry Price of Oakridge Kennels and Jim Elam of Lake Country Retrievers- I've worked with both, seen the dogs on their trailers and respect the heck out of them. I'd advise on calling them and maybe taking a ride out to see their facilities. Good luck!
    Bob Owens
    President- Lone Duck Outfitters
    "Sharing Your Passion For The Unspoken Bond"
    www.loneduckoutfitters.com

I've been with John Weller, Wellerkennels.com , for almost 9years now and would recommend him highly. John is located in New Bern. He's training my 3rd dog now. 2 of the 3 dogs he's trained or is training for me have been bought from him also. I know pretty much all of the trainers mentioned in this thread and they all are very good. Dave Wilson, Chris Locklear, Jim Elam, Richard Reese are all located in or close to Eastern NC. Terry Price and Joel Porter are around the Charlotte area. Being biased towards John Weller as I am, I have recommeded people to all of them. Being in Fayetteville, NC if John were to retire I'd go to either Dave or Chris. They both are about 30 minutes from my house. Visit all of them and see who you click with the most. All are good choices.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Thank you all for the great responses. I really appreciate it. The RTF is a great resource for newbies like me. I am located closest to Richard Reese and John Weller, but Richard is booked for training until next September. I plan to watch the Wellers' retriever demo at the decoy festival this weekend and speak with him if he's got time. I'll also contact the other trainers and go from there.

Thanks again!