The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Definition of style

In HT, the rulebook should prevail and it gives a fairly good definition of style. Don't know about HRC and AKC FT books.

Yes, I have seen a dog dropped for style in AKC SH test.
    Last edited by Thomas D; 11-23-2012 at 09:41 AM.
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    Then what's your definition of trainability?

To me, style is enthusiasm for the "game" and trainability is exhibiting teamwork. Lots of dogs can have both. And I've seen plenty of dogs have one or the other.

Yes, I have seen dogs dropped for lack of style. Its painful.

WRL
    Agree with what you said and added IMO, highly trainable dogs are intelligent, easy to work with, love their work, good attitudes, hard chargers, perform to their optimum and have style. IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Style is not necessarily what they do as much as how they do it. HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW

Dog is eager & excited to be working& looks like his is thrilled to be allowed to do the job asked of him because he obviously loves the job that he is been allowed to do

I don't know if this will make it clearer, but perhaps it might help.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

This dog has style.

I've only dropped one dog ever in a master test for style. It was painful to watch, I wanted to poke my eyes out...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

No out of control is junk. You know damm well what is style Scott.
    My definition of style. There are all forms of style when it comes to this
    Game. In my mind the dog that shows a attitude that its not enjoying itself
    Lacks style. Style ain't speed ain't the big entry ain't running with a head of steam
    To put up a very quick hunt be cause it was lined to area.
    Style is a mutt that sits whatches birds and retrieves them with accuracy

Just got done hunting so I will tell you what I believe a stylish retriever is. When a retriever walks with confidence from the blind to the mat but is aware without being told were it needs to be. The retriever sits at the mat steady but confident preparing for the test eyes forward ears up and feet on the ground. He leaves the mat when sent with confidence and responds to commands promptly and with presision. Extremely stylish dogs make lite work of blinds even keyhole blinds. Dogs that have more momentum than control are not stylish it's like a super model that can't walk in heals.

I was lucky enough to judge a team that showed my definition of style several years ago. We were doing a water blind Peppers farm in Western Washington and Lanse Brown was running one of his dogs. I will never forget what I witnessed that day it was on a level that I have yet to witness since that day and doubt I ever will it was the definition of style. They were a team that performed with understanding, confidence and athletic ability. I believe to this day the handler and the dog had perfected the game. It was if they were speaking the same language for that short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spalding View Post
    Just got done hunting so I will tell you what I believe a stylish retriever is. When a retriever walks with confidence from the blind to the mat but is aware without being told were it needs to be. The retriever sits at the mat steady but confident preparing for the test eyes forward ears up and feet on the ground. He leaves the mat when sent with confidence and responds to commands promptly and with presision. Extremely stylish dogs make lite work of blinds even keyhole blinds. Dogs that have more momentum than control are not stylish it's like a super model that can't walk in heals.
    Scott,

I think most would agree that all those attributes are desireable in a working retriever. I can't make a logical connection with style when considering any of them, especially in a traditional sense. There are some nice descriptions of various gundog breeds on the Pheasants Forever site that may help provide insight into a more classic view of style as relates to hunting dogs. For example:

Breed: Golden Retriever
    Type: Retriever
    Hunting Style
    Golden Retrievers are versatile hunting retrievers that are well suited to cold hunting conditions due to an outer coat that is dense and water repellent. They are a tough and durable breed with good speed and agility and a great love of water. Goldens will quarter in front of the hunter to flush upland birds and should stay within comfortable gun range. They live to retrieve.
    Breed: Labrador Retriever
    Type: Retriever
    Hunting Style
    Labrador Retrievers, or Labs, are versatile hunting retrievers that are well suited to adverse weather conditions and very cold water. They are a tough and durable breed combining a sturdy build with good speed and agility. Labs will quarter in front of the hunter to flush upland birds and should stay within comfortable gun range.

There are numerous other breeds listed in much the same manner. References to speed and agility typify style, along with grace of movement, high tail, enthusiasm, etc. What you're referencing as "style" appear to have more connection with learned behavior, flavored with some innate traits.

Can you see where I'm coming from on this?

Evan
    Last edited by Evan; 11-23-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile