The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Definition of style

Yes I can and I agree to some extent. I just think that there are quite a few people that think momentum is the definition of style and use it as an excuse from time to time to justify poor performance.

For those who think an out of control dog can have style, I have another label...unenlightened enthusiasm.
    David Didier, GA

I'm with you there, Scott. Over quite a few years the terms "Style" and "Momentum" have been used interchabably, including uses to eliminate dogs from tests & trials. Lack of style is something the AKC rules allow a judge to penalize a dog for, up to and including elimination. Below is a quote from AKC Field Trials - One Judges Perspective, by John Cavanaugh and Mitch Patterson - two of the most solid sources on such topics. This is page 5

I get the impression we're pretty close on our overall interpretation.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Hey Scott...here is what style LOOKS like!

BTW...this is Wrangler

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Gen 1:1 NKJV)... 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. (John 1:1-4NKJV)

No evolution, no monkey ancestors, no big bang!

Dog is obviously out-a-control Keith . All four legs tucked!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Farmer View Post
    Hey Scott...here is what style LOOKS like!

BTW...this is Wrangler .
    What kinda' water dog is that?! Can't even swim???
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I'm with you there, Scott. Over quite a few years the terms "Style" and "Momentum" have been used interchabably, including uses to eliminate dogs from tests & trials. Lack of style is something the AKC rules allow a judge to penalize a dog for, up to and including elimination. Below is a quote from AKC Field Trials - One Judges Perspective, by John Cavanaugh and Mitch Patterson - two of the most solid sources on such topics. This is page 5

I get the impression we're pretty close on our overall interpretation.

Evan
    ....and where did John get this? Right out of the FT rulebook, which is a pretty solid source also.

(7) Style is apparent in every movement of a dog and throughout his entire performance at trials, for example: by the gaiety of his manner in approaching the line, by his alertness on-line, by his eagerness and speed on retrieves, by his water-entry, by his pick-up of birds and by his return with them. Style makes for a pleasing performance; together with ability to mark, they constitute the most important factors for placings in Derby Stakes.
    In all stakes, in respect to “style,’’ a desired performance includes: (a) an alert and obedient attitude, (b) a fast-determined departure, both on land and into the water, (c) an aggressive search for the “fall,’’ (d) a prompt pick-up, and (e) a reasonably fast return. Dogs may be credited for outstanding and brilliant exhibitions of style, or they may be penalized for deficiencies in style — the severity of the penalty ranging from a minor demerit, to elimination from the..........
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    I agree you know style when you see style. As an aside, I have never witnessed a dog failed for style in a hunt test. Has anyone seen style as the reason for being dropped in either a trial or test?
    My co-judge I and dropped 2 many years ago on water blinds..Same handler...Steve S
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 11-23-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: forgot name

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    I agree you know style when you see style. As an aside, I have never witnessed a dog failed for style in a hunt test. Has anyone seen style as the reason for being dropped in either a trial or test?
    No... but I've wanted to. Stopped judging AKC years ago because between the local club and AKC they seemed incapable of tracking judging assignments. I've judged HRC for many years since then. Never dropped a dog for style, but like I said, I've wanted to. You know style, or lack of when you see it, but most dogs lacking it take themselves out for other reasons so the point becomes moot. JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift