The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Definition of style

Style is moving with confidence toward the birds in a manner that is pleasing to the eye of the beholder. Getting the job done in a efficient manner, so to speak. Like someone said, "You know it , when you see it". Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

Style starts on line, picking out the guns, watching the marks, eager anticipation of what is to come and continues from there.

I agree you know style when you see style. As an aside, I have never witnessed a dog failed for style in a hunt test. Has anyone seen style as the reason for being dropped in either a trial or test?
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    I agree you know style when you see style. As an aside, I have never witnessed a dog failed for style in a hunt test. Has anyone seen style as the reason for being dropped in either a trial or test?
    Yes, from trials, and on more than one occasion. The rule book supports doing so, I might add. But to the OP, I believe speed is a component of style, but is relative to each dog to a point. You can't expect a 12 year old to move as fast as he once did. But he may be as fast as his anatomy and physiology will allow. You can tell when that is not so by watching.

I define style as follows: " Style: One of the Webster’s dictionary definitions of style is “showiness”. This is a term used to describe the speed, spirit, or enthusiasm with which a dog moves (going out and back) during a retrieve." You can see it, even without being an expert, when a dog is showing these traits together on retrieve, or when he isn't. Slinking around, or barely trotting on the other hand - each having 'speed' components in the negative - can be readliy identified too.

So, are you planning on contrasting this term with momentum at some point, or did you have another reason for this question? What are you fishing for?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Things are great Lee thanks. The Family is doing great Michael is growing like a weed. I have a five month old pup that looks just like his pop and looks to be a keeper. Hope all is well with you and you're family. Headed to the blind to play some retriever games.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Style exhibits teamwork.
    I watched a handler dog team that it was quite apperent neither one wanted to be their or liked what they were doing it was painful to watch, however they did have great teamwork.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

Style is about attitude. Is the dog confident and ENJOYING the work.

A 2yo can be moving fast but running scared and out of obligation and the 12 yo can be moving slow knows where he is going and having the time of his life.

As a judge, Which dog would you rather call back to the next series to watch again?

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Style exhibits teamwork.
    Then what's your definition of trainability?

To me, style is enthusiasm for the "game" and trainability is exhibiting teamwork. Lots of dogs can have both. And I've seen plenty of dogs have one or the other.

Yes, I have seen dogs dropped for lack of style. Its painful.

WRL

It should be mentioned that what many see in a dog that has been correctly described here as "style", is often labled as "momentum"; not the same things.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Best way I can explain it.