RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Please share your input on Rex Book

Please share your input on Rex book

16K views 83 replies 53 participants last post by  g_fiebelkorn 
#1 ·
I am very interested in the opinions of fellow/fellowette RTF'ers regarding which way to go with this Rex project. Please let me know what you would like to see. Thanks very much.

#27 ·
Yeah, what that LisaDamLoo said..............

Nazdrowie.............. :drinking:

#32 ·
I think that you would HAVE to have something on his background. This will usually explain how a persons philosophies developed, i.e. the influences on your life make the person.

As for book, hard bound unless you do the worksheet angle then spiral.

Should be very interesting.

#33 · (Edited)
How 'bout 2 books into 1 with all the above information along with a workbook if needed. Similar to the format of John and Amy Dahl's books. That way you can reference from one to the other and give examples of XYZ if need be without having to hold another book in your lap. Perhaps the corners of these pages could be marked with a color that could also be seen when the book is closed. That way you just flip the book open to a color coded area, perhaps a section you've been reading.

A workbook one could take afield would be good.

My only suggestions is don't leave anything out that you feel is necessary and give it up because the publisher says it's too long. If they say that find another publisher.

Hard cover, with smith sewn binding. In other words something that will stand up to use and can be passed down from one generation to another.

As far as the work book, something that can be taken afield. This also must be able to "weather" (intentional spelling) the test of time.

I plan on passing all of the books in my library down to my son. It's too bad others have almost quit publishing in hard back with a good binding.

EDIT:

I'll be happy with whatever you decide Vickie. What is it they say? Beggars can't be choosey.

#34 ·
I like option 2 the most.

If I had a chance, I would also like to know how he trained other trainers so well, such as Sargenti and Rorem. How did he transfer his knowledge so completely to so many trainers would be inspirational at best.

Many of my FT peers are trained by Sargenti for dog and handler. Lynn Moore spent a week with him training, and then went on to win her first derby shortly thereafter. I think Rex had this great ability as a dog trainer, but also in communicating that knowledge to others and it's rubbed off in the closest trainers I can think of. (Rorem and Sargenti)

Loren

#36 ·
Vicki, with due respect... You have to be able to sell it or it will never get published, and first you have to be able to sell it to the publisher.

To those of us who didn't know him, Rexx is a legend, so a book that chronicles his life and how he came to be who he is the dog world would be very interesting. I think it would be saleable to a publisher and marketable to the public.

A training manual frmo Rexx Carr, with him unable to supervise it's writing, would be one more interpretation, several of which are already in play.

The life of the man behind it all is where the sale is from my perspective.

#37 ·
Great Point DG...the other things I would be interested in reading would be actual excerpts from those that trained with the Major directly, not second or third hand from his assistant, even though many of those went on to fine careers on their own..I want to hear from Vicki herself, Mimi Cary Drake,Judy Aycock,Lanse Brown and any other amateur trainers still with us who could give us first hand accounts of what he might have done differently

#44 ·
A training manual frmo Rexx Carr, with him unable to supervise it's writing, would be one more interpretation, several of which are already in play.
Except that's not the case in this situation.

Rex did write it.

We started talking about this project back in 1985. As far as the training part goes, most of it is his own words...unaltered. The only thing I've done from that standpoint is to organize them.

Anything that is an interpretation from me is duly noted.

It's been mentioned that there are many things out there these days based on Rex's program, so why do this part?

My answer is that Rex was the beginning of it all...and to me at least, his vast contributions should be a matter of record.

But besides that, with just about everything he wrote on his training, he has comments and insight that are priceless.

Rex was meticulous about taking notes, keeping records...and I have all of his archives, as well as photo albums, scrapbooks, slides, old movies, his library, etc.

Thanks to everyone for your input. It is much appreciated.

#54 ·
In that case I believe you're the holder of something very special and very marketable Vickie!

Looking forward to it, of course.
Marketable? Too a few hundred, maybe a thousand at best. Hardly enough for a publishing house to offset production cost. Better suited for magazine essay or readers digest. After 30 some years I would think that most of the training stratagies have been refined and improved enough that a newcomer would be best served by investing in a more recent publication or instructional video. For niche readers only regards.

#60 ·
Marketable? Too a few hundred, maybe a thousand at best. Hardly enough for a publishing house to offset production cost. Better suited for magazine essay or readers digest. After 30 some years I would think that most of the training stratagies have been refined and improved enough that a newcomer would be best served by investing in a more recent publication or instructional video. For niche readers only regards.
Post three tonight....

...Well, Greg...

I'm not going to a publishing house... because I lose control of ultimate content and also of quality. Been there and done that before.

As such, I'm struggling to do this myself.

My reasons for doing this are based on a labor of love for something that should be a matter of record based on Rex's accomplishments and in-depth contributions to this sport. With all due respect, it matters not to me about niche regards.

And on that note, back to work regards...

Vickie

#39 ·
I think a bio on Rex and the development of his program would be fascinating. As far as a "training manual", I think his methods have been adopted by so many successful contemporary trainers, (some who have very popular DVDs) that I can gather that info in an updated, modern forum such as those. Whatever you decide, I'll be ready to order one when it hits the web.

#45 ·
vicky
i have read one of rex's "files" .Letters he wrote to clients and his unique and very emotional style stood out to me.he writes about dogs almost like they are people.His terminology is very obscure and his letters are hard to follow and interpret "Fracturing" seems to play a prominent part in his very longwinded monologues with his clients.Clearly by his tone , he deeply cares about his dogs yet he seems in these letters to be both pragmatic and emotional, a truely strange combination.
Vicky I dont know how much access you have to his private papers and whether your access is comphrensive
The reason I'm still working on this is because I have to work for a living...and the amount of material I have from Rex and Rex's estate is massive. Particularly with reference to his biography, all this requires going through/research and then determining what is most significant. However, as Charles C pointed out my website indicates, I am drawing near the end...and by the end of this year I should have a time frame...at least.

Stoney, as mentioned in the earlier post, I have all of Rex's archives. This includes all of his training records since he began training dogs, his training notes, his correspondence to people and the same from people, in addition to the items I mentioned in the above post, and much more. Much was given to me by Rex before he died, particularly training material. The rest was given to me by Billy and by his family after he died because of their awareness of the project.

There is so much stuff I had to rent storage for it...

Again, thanks for all your comments...they mean a lot and are helpful.

#41 ·
This is what her website says:

Carr-Dinal Principles of Retriever Training - COMING SOON!
- Vickie's work on the Rex Carr book volumes is drawing to a close in 2009. Please stay tuned for details on availability later this year.

#43 ·
vicky
i have read one of rex's "files" .Letters he wrote to clients and his unique and very emotional style stood out to me.he writes about dogs almost like they are people.His terminology is very obscure and his letters are hard to follow and interpret "Fracturing" seems to play a prominent part in his very longwinded monologues with his clients.Clearly by his tone , he deeply cares about his dogs yet he seems in these letters to be both pragmatic and emotional, a truely strange combination.
Vicky I dont know how much access you have to his private papers and whether your access is comphrensive but i do know where you could find the file mentioned above which is 60 odd pages long from memory.I read it about 10 years ago and never made it to the end because I thought it was a little incoherent but in hindsight I probably just wasnt able to grasp his meaning
i am looking forward to your book immensely
what a subject matter!!!!!!!!!!!!
pioneer, profound,brute,softy,teacher, disiplinarian,innovator,rude and obnoxious, charming and very careing.
wow what a complex guy i await the results of your research i hope it is warts and all and you chronicle his detractors who used to rather cyncically refer to rex"s dogs as having the "Escalon shuffle"
great men are often put under the microscope and i think getting it right with Rex Carr will be collosally difficult
good luck Vicky

#46 ·
I expect I will buy the book either way.

A training book peppered with philosophy, anecdotes. life history and experiences.

#48 ·
Vickie,
I personally would prefer option #3. I think it would be wonderful to gain both an indepth insight into the man and his methods and a workbook to see how these parallel each other.
Hard bound for the bio and spiral for the workbook.
When you get a chance drop me a line with your take on her.

#49 ·
having a book about Rex Carr would almost be like getting the original manuscript of the Ten Commandments from Moses..;-);-) j/k

#53 ·
Vickie,

Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to meet Rex. My involvement with retrievers began after he was gone, but I have heard many stories about the man, his training philosophies and approach. Several of the most successful programs are based on Mr. Carr's work and teachings with their own twists or interpretations.

Having a text available that unravels the mysteries of the man behind the myth and how he developed his training approach would be invaluable.

In addition to all his successes, I feel that understanding the failures while developing his program is also worthy of inclusion. We all tend to learn more from our own failed attempts than we do when everything goes right. I'm sure Rex failed allot more than most of us would ever dream of in order to get to where he eventually did.

The other thing I think would make the book more interesting would be short story personal accounts of various situations / encounters with the Master himself, by those who knew and trained with him.

Regardless of what you come up with, save me a spot in line for the final result. I'm really looking forward to it.

Dan Wegner

G
#57 ·
Vicky,

Here is what **I** would like, and maybe I'm the only one...

I would love to have a biographical introduction. Then SEE the notes AS-IS with your commentary. I love historical stuff like that. SEE the handwriting and try to decipher and understand the notes. Then have your commentary of what he was communicating or the "rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say.

I don't think you need to write a "training book". I don't see the point of it. A lot of the stuff has been revised, rehashed and modified. Maybe a section of "stuff that still works today" or whatever...

That's what I'd like to see. A compilation of the ACTUAL materials since they sounds interesting based on discussions you and I had a while back.

And THEN you don't have to work quite as hard putting it together. :)

-K

#59 ·
Thanks for your thoughts, gal! And, the training stuff is not what I'd call a "training book" ... per se. It is coming together quite a bit like you and I have talked... :) Again, thanks!

#64 ·
Since you asked.
In part one I would be interested in a factual biography of Rex and the Rex years, listing all of his collaborators at TT, his clients and client dogs both the successes and failures followed in part two by the notes listed chronologically sans any extraneous commentary.

Then in any subsequent parts you may take it in any direction you wish....
With commentary on the clients and dogs, the notes,etc.......... and an accurate then till now account of the primary Carr based program(s) would be informative, showing how much contribution there actually was ... with how much of these programs content can actually be attributed directly to his work vs the work of others being of particular interest to me.

In any format I would read it for a review :)

john

#67 ·
dont take this wrong about what im about to say but. 95 % of the non field trial poeple could not handle how rex or as far as that does any one during that era of collar development trained. alot of times it was down right brutel. rex was an interesting character and you needed thick skin to be around him. i feel that mike lardy brought the use of collar into a tool that could be used on any dog. back in rex's days only the strong survived.

G
#68 ·
dont take this wrong about what im about to say but. 95 % of the non field trial poeple could not handle how rex or as far as that does any one during that era of collar development trained. alot of times it was down right brutel. rex was an interesting character and you needed thick skin to be around him. i feel that mike lardy brought the use of collar into a tool that could be used on any dog. back in rex's days only the strong survived.
Both people and dogs.

I was just about to respond to Vickie that including stories about how many grown men he made cry was a big part of getting to know Rex.

That and the story about Billy shooting the marble into the back of Rex's leg while water forcing a dog...and Rex's somber response.:cool:

#71 ·
I picture the book as more of a coffee table reference book that someone reads by the fire at night especially if its an unedited version in his writing. I think it would make a great gift idea to any dog afficianado...niche audience for sure...wont make Amazons top ten list but I bet 80 % of the people on here would buy one...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.