The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GDG***Sandhill Cranes***GDG

Are Sandhills as tastey as Whooping Cranes?
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Man, I'm not sure that I would even joke about that!!! You never know who's "listening". You may end up with unwelcome visitors at your next few outings!
    Last edited by HPL; 11-25-2012 at 09:34 AM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Man, I'm not sure that I would even joke about that!!! You never know who's "listening". You may end up with unwelcome visitors at your next few outings!
    I've never seen one much less dined on one. I think they mostly stay to the west of here.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Suuurrre. That's what you say now............

We have only recently had a crane season. We're too close to Aransas Nat. Refuge. A friend of mine was apparently instrumental in getting the season opened here. His research has shown that they don't stray into our area. Still haven't tried to harvest one. Worried about my dog getting blinded.
    Last edited by HPL; 11-25-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Are Sandhills as tastey as Whooping Cranes?
    From what I hear nothing is as tasty as spotted owl & Bald eagle

This is what happened Friday here.

I find this absolutely fascinating.
    I hope you do as well.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display...89648&source=0

Just mind boggling........I think our season is over.

BTW---I guess I should have been at my desk responding to foolish posts or shopping at Wal-Mart, instead I was out being a part of this.

Shame on me............
    Last edited by road kill; 11-25-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    This is what happened Friday here.

I find this absolutely fascinating.
    I hope you do as well.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display...89648&source=0

Just mind boggling........I think our season is over.

BTW---I guess I should have been at my desk responding to foolish posts or shopping at Wal-Mart, instead I was out being a part of this.

Shame on me............
    You were doing the correct thing. Maybe not politically correct but correct according to my values Anyhow............there were plenty of people out stimulating the economy I hear.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

I saw sandhills going by the same day you made this post Stan. Several groups very high up going by. We do get groups stopping by here on their way south and north in the spring. Earlier this year we went a couple of mornings to try to see the whooping cranes guided by ultra-lites to teach them the route to Florida. Each day they were grounded with high winds when we went to see them. I was surprised by how many people showed up each time before sunrise and how far some people came to get a chance to see them. They are already in Florida now but if you are along the route you can maybe see them next year. http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/

We've had them here in the Texas Coastal Bend area for quite a while now. Don't know where that population summers, and perhaps we will be getting more as winter progresses, but I have been seeing and hearing them for several weeks at least.
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by J Hoggatt View Post
    Out this morning as well - there is more coming your way!! -- Nebraska is the only state that doesn't hunt them about a 100 of them flew 30 yards over us this morning on the Platte River in central Nebraska. Probably saw 1000 in flight this am.

My friends in Kearney bemoan this situation. Sadly the tree huggers/environmental whackos have strong-armed the legislators into this regulation. We had a similar situation many years ago that stopped the dove hunting. I even had to appear before the legislature to make them understand the extremists were passing on incorrect info as to a doves longevity. Once they had several hunters and scientists explain the facts, we were able to get the seasons opened again.

I suspect it will take some of these birds attacking golf courses and other areas that these same tree huggers find to be their "ox", before logic will enter the equation. It's almost analogous with what's happening to the "golf course" geese...that used to be "so cute to watch", but now have suddenly become 'nuisances'. The farmers that used to like having a flock on their property, and protected them vigilently, but now, finding these birds gleaning their soy bean fields acres at a time, they welcome hunters and appreciate the GF&P's new limits of 25 birds/day. Hopefully, in your lifetime, you'll be able to hunt crane in Nebraska. There are plenty reserves for the 'bird watchers' where no hunting needs to be allowed, just like the other waterfowl reserves. Eventually the lack of 'management' in Nebraska, will be detrimental to the cranes, just like has happened to the snow goose population, and is becoming a problem for the black geese also.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.