The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Use of IPad in judging

How do you fold the Ipad over when the dog is out?
    Seriously I wouldn't use one to judge. The sun and rain were already mentioned. Even simpler, what do you do in AKC when the judge needs to take the bird from the handler? Your hands are covered in blood / water and feathers. You would have to wash your hands before writing down their score. I know as a judge I would be pissed if my co-judge was screwing around with the Ipad the whole day.
    Paul Kartes
    Lakota Retrievers

I still would like to see the "best practice" method. I'm always willing to learn and if somebody's got a cool system down, I'm guessing there are applicable takeaways.

I've been using the Lee Hauser transparencies mentioned in another thread - but I still consider those paper.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Aside from the technology limitations that have been mentioned, those I have seen using the IPad in a judging-like manner, do not get the resolution on hunts necessary to distinguish the work of one dog versus another - IMO. I don't know if the app I saw is the one used by Junbe's example but I bet it is given who I saw using it at the nat'l am this summer. I also saw that it appeared time consuming to make corrections. But the biggest issue would be inability to get to the data, as some have mentioned, do to battery limitations, a s/w crash, etc.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    Aside from the technology limitations that have been mentioned, those I have seen using the IPad in a judging-like manner, do not get the resolution on hunts necessary to distinguish the work of one dog versus another - IMO. I don't know if the app I saw is the one used by Junbe's example but I bet it is given who I saw using it at the nat'l am this summer. I also saw that it appeared time consuming to make corrections. But the biggest issue would be inability to get to the data, as some have mentioned, do to battery limitations, a s/w crash, etc.
    David in my mind's eye when I read your note, I get visions of those videos that Domtar has posted on their "Paperbecause.com" site. Those things crack me up.

There are just certain applicaitons where good old fashioned paper makes lots of sense, and probably will continue to.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Might be good for hunt tests if the app would do the darn math for you...

And rather than turning the page over, you could have sound effects:

"BZZZZZZZTTTT!"

Or "Do DO do, do, do DO do..." jeopardy-style, and at the end the handler knows to call the dog (I think I've heard this is my head several times)

Wouldn't all have to be negative:

"DingDingDingDingDingDing"

Or "WEEEEEEEEEEEE are the CHAMPions...."

Could be great fun!
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Judge0001.jpg

This is what I used in the early 1970's when I started judging. It is simple and foolproof and it has worked well for 40 years.

Jack
    It was impossible, so it took a little longer to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by junbe View Post
    Judge0001.jpg

This is what I used in the early 1970's when I started judging. It is simple and foolproof and it has worked well for 40 years.

Jack
    so you started judging when you were 5? Cool!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Life proof makes a case for the IPad that is water proof
    http://www.lifeproof.com/ipad/
    Greg Seddon
    CFC HRCH Gunner, Flight Interceptor SH
    Gates Smoky Mountain Treasure QAA

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I am a big fan of my iPad and use it for training all the time. Using Adobe Ideas, it would be easy to come up with something similar to Ted's transparency thing, using a picture and the lines as the base and putting each dog on a new sheet. Still, I don't think I am quite ready to go that way. If nothing else, the big 'X' I put on the back in black duct tape is so great for signaling bird boys that i would probably keep my judging book just for that

You just watch the next generation of dog gamers will be changing the way things are done. Was at our training day and one young man was used his ipad to log dogs path on a retrieve after each run. Took a picture of each setup loaded it into the ipad and marked over the top of the photo with a drawing program. Logged the time each run took also. He told me he has kept all the data and is starting to do bar charts to determine areas of weakness that need more training. I thought it was way over kill but after I thought about the movie "Money Ball" and how they used unconventional methods that later changed the way things were done. I am open to new ways and going to see where it goes.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH