The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Use of IPad in judging

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    While the Ipad seems intriguing, for this application, it seems like there are a few potential glitches. Screen brightness. Inability perhaps to easily toggle from one dog to another and lay their performances side by side on a big table. Rain/weather issues. Battery power....etc.

I'd love to see someone use one to see how it's done.

To me, this seems like old fashioned paper may continue to serve its purpose for judging for many...

One of the leaders in the printing and writing paper industry has a series of very funny videos, with the message that "paperless may be going a bit too far".

http://www.paperbecause.com/media/office

http://www.paperbecause.com/media/ja...less-workplace

http://www.paperbecause.com/media/elevator

http://www.paperbecause.com/media/cloud
    Hysterical!

Come on didn’t you see Rocky 4, hard work always beats technology.

Seriously I think the I Pad can be a good tool in documenting the dog progress, but nothing is going to beat old fashion knowledge, experience and dog sense.
    Paul Kartes
    Lakota Retrievers

Here's what you do... you put a Garmin tracker on each dog running, have it transmit to some app on your iPad. Then you can just sit in your hotel room watching football as the lines magically appear on your iPad. Have another app that calculated the length of the lines and the variation in distance from the spot the bird is to fall, another app to add these all up and summarize, then calculate your final score. this would also reduce those long, nasty discussions between dissenting judges.....
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tome View Post
    Here's what you do... you put a Garmin tracker on each dog running, have it transmit to some app on your iPad. Then you can just sit in your hotel room watching football as the lines magically appear on your iPad. Have another app that calculated the length of the lines and the variation in distance from the spot the bird is to fall, another app to add these all up and summarize, then calculate your final score. this would also reduce those long, nasty discussions between dissenting judges.....
    As the Guiness guys would say "Brilliant!"
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

One thing about humans is that they do not like change although change is an inevitable part of this world.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Ok.. I have been playing with this for a while.
    There are screen sheet to apply to ipad or its cover to work fine outdoors. Just like your phones.. there are otter boxes and other brands that work in all weather.

I would say in another year you will see SOMEONE using them to judge .
    Megan(Weebegoldens)

I think it has a lot of potential, but it will take quite a bit of experimentation to work smoothly. There are always early adapters who will work out the bugs for us and in a few years we may question how we did things so slowly today.

I have been playing with the idea of building an app for this for a while (not me, someone more skilled hopefully), as, for me, the mechanics of setting up pages, moving between sheets, scores, etc directly on ipad are too time consuming. It would be nice to have the benefit of only drawing the test once, we'll, then overlaying in a paperless system. To me, the great part would be building in automatic scoresheet, labels for different stakes, quick change icons for scoring blinds, ie yellow triangle for WR, red dot for CR, black dot for whistle only. There are actually not a lot of choices of what we note, so should be able to program a number of standard time savers. Of course, freezing up, bad battery etc and losing all your marking info near the end of a stake is a scary concept, so we need to figure out some fallbacks.

I think it will be more realistic for hunt tests for a while, marking in a FT is trickier and details obviously are much more important.

Laureen
    http://www.zaniri.com

Every electronic device has a built in "Critical Need Sensor" that automatically initiates a massive failure upon sensing that it has become extremely critical that it operate properly. Once the need has passed, the sensor resets and normal operations are allowed to continue.

Pencils don't have that feature regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Every electronic device has a built in "Critical Need Sensor" that automatically initiates a massive failure upon sensing that it has become extremely critical that it operate properly. Once the need has passed, the sensor resets and normal operations are allowed to continue.

Pencils don't have that feature regards

Bubba

That made me laugh. I have had exactly two hard drive failures in my life. Both were just inside of a week of me having really big and important presentations that had to be done.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinismybrother View Post
    thought about doing it for some HT assignments this year. But HRC requires you keep the printed sheets for a year- so that's out. Not sure about AKC reuirements on keeping the sheets.
    Why couldn't you print them?
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog