The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The human phycy

Default The human phycy

What is it about the human phsychy that compels us to post.
    Do we really think what we write matters?
    I used to think it was an extension of hanging out at a tail gait at the end of an event. But in reality I have never picked up where I left off nor have I seen much of a lurker or member want to bring back up what was talked about here. .
    Or are we social misfits? Or are we compelled to show our wit or lack there of. Or is it a bad habit like smoking or drinking ?
    Interactive virtual entertainment ? And do we do ourself more harm than good?

Just some of the stuff I think about.

Let me clarify.
    I'm not speaking of people who ask questions because they genuinely need answers or some one who is genuinely giving a needed answer

Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 11-25-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I used to think it was an extension of hanging out at a tail gait at the end of an event. But in reality I have never picked up where I left off nor have I seen much of a lurker or member want to bring back up what was talked about here. .
    Or are we social misfits? Or are we compelled to show our wit or lack there of. Or is it a bad habit like smoking or drinking ?
    In my case it is all of the above.
    Some of these posters I know pretty well.
    Some of them I am friends with from this site.
    Some of them give glimpses of character that would be great to sit in a duck blind with.

Some not so much.

I am sure it's the same for us all.

Good question, this ought to be a good thread!!
    Last edited by road kill; 11-25-2012 at 07:50 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

I find that the opposite for me Stan. I have a friend in my training group that mentions it from time to time,,, but other than that RTF is mostly hush hush. Which actually brings up other questions in my mind. (smiley face)
    I'll bet the ratio of retriever people who don't post/ regularly are about a 1000 times higher than those who do.
    Also I actually don;t know many posters,, and I have been around for 25 years or so. n May be they don't want me to know them (razz smiley and kidding).
    Also I think that the lack of personality that comes through the computer affects whats written greatly.
    Last edited by Pete; 11-25-2012 at 07:50 AM.
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

I find that the opposite for me Stan. I have a friend in my training group that mentions it from time to time,,, but other than that RTF is mostly hush hush. Which actually brings up other questions in my mind. (smiley face)
    I'll bet the ratio of retriever people who don't post/ regularly are about a 1000 times higher than those who do.
    Also I actually don;t know many posters,, and I have been around for 25 years or so. n May be they don't want me to know them (razz smiley and kidding).
    Also I think that the lack of personality that comes through the computer affects whats written greatly.
    How many RTF posters are in ID????

Here in WI, we are close to IL and IA and MN.
    We run in and judge HT's all over those states.

I am not ashamed of anything I post.
    And despite what some would have you beleive, I am very careful in my choice of words.
    You would have a very difficult time finding any posts where I have called someone any names.

"I yam what I yam."

I think, based on what I have lived through, I have earned the right to be me, just like everyone else has.
    If that is cause to hate, it would have happened sooner or later any ways, despite this forum.

So........"keep on keepin' on.........."
    Stan b & Elvis

on rtf I post when I can help folk buy rope or name the pup they have. Or when I can lighten a thread with clever gdg. orto stick a pin into somebody that is full of themself. I also step in when somebody is just being goofy or may hurt a dog.

in potus I post to I hope add to a conversation. use personal experiance. I strart threads most often to learn myself or spark deep thinking by us all, I hope.

I also never type something I would not say face to face.
    I run itno a fair number of folks at events who read but do not type.
    That can be funny, folk yelling accross a parking area... "Hey Bora, I have rope!!"
    and I am like "thats nice."
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Interactive virtual entertainment ? And do we do ourself more harm than good?

Just some of the stuff I think about.

Let me clarify.
    I'm not speaking of people who ask questions because they genuinely need answers or some one who is genuinely giving a needed answer

Pete

first of all I am guessing the word you are trying to use is PSYCHE

I have caught scrutiny for my posts here on the RTF from people I know (family and friends) who read but do not post on the RTF..I have also been chastised from people I dont know for stuff I post here on the RTF (happened at the SLC trial)

I stand by what I post..granted some of it might not be well thought out , but at the time it was my opinion

As I mentioned on another thread, ones expertise, credentials or lack thereof should not be a qualifier for posting on the RTF...heck there was one poster who was asking questions like a novice and a month later they were dispensing training advice like they were the second coming of Lardy..the point being as Chris once stated the RTF is self moderating, its up to the user, even a lurker to decide what is useful, what is banter, and what is plain old cow manure...I may not agree with some here on POTUS but I do not have any on ignore...I do however use the feature on the regular board

You have to treat the RTF for the social medium that it is, it can be valuable, entertaining,informative...it can also be the most hateful,spiteful and just downright mean and nasty place all the different message boards I have encountered....

Are we social misfits, maybe we are....

and yes Stan the amount of people that post from Idaho, you can count on both hands, but the actual people that read and actually play the dog games is probably ten times that number
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    first of all I am guessing the word you are trying to use is PSYCHE

Nooo, I think he meant phycy and just accidentally added some letters the second time.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

[QUOTENooo, I think he meant phycy and just accidentally added some letters the second time.][/QUOTE]

If this was a spelling forum or a grammar forum I would probably be more concerned about that kind of stuff. This is a dog forum well sort of,,,

Bon
    You have always come across as a respectful type of person,,,but RTF is my only indicator.,,,,Also I receive and send out so few PM"S that it is a non issue for me.
    One thing I have learned about the retriever realm is people love to gossip and back bite and twist things around. Some of them highly respected RTF posters. It is or can be destructive.

So I try to stay away from that aspect of it And pay no attention to it,,and could care less if it is true or not. which is probably why I always semm oblivious(smile face)

Pete

Pete : decades ago the Saturday tailgate party was precursor to the gossip circle....now with the internet the info is cross country within minutes, its also probably a reason for the demise of the tailgater...nothing new to talk about, with the advent of emails,texts and message boards, information is spread faster than the SARS virus...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

[QUOTE[COLOR=#333333].................................................. ................................................
    One thing I have learned about the retriever realm is people love to gossip and back bite and twist things around. ............................. It is or can be destructive....................................... ..................................

Pete

You got that right. I used to attend the "AKC confirmation shows" and it was pretty much "dog eat dog" but not really the dogs, I mean the humans on the other end of that lead. By the time that I was sort of accepted I did not want to be accepted. On the other hand I made some good, life-long friends among those people. Just sort 'em out till you find the good ones.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~