The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If top 5% paid 40% of taxes, what is their 'fair' share?

Back to the original question. I think that this isn't as simple a question as it might at first seem. It might seem fair for everyone to pay the same percentage of their income. Unfortunately, defining "income" has become pretty complicated. Perhaps one should pay a percentage based on what percentage of the national wealth one owns. For 5% to pay 40% of the taxes appears to be grossly unfair, but if that same 5% controls 80% of the nation's wealth, then perhaps it's not so unfair. Maybe the best solution would be a consumption tax (no not for people with TB) that is to say a national sales tax. I don't know. "Fair" share is very difficult to define.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

If you are going to discuss this, it might help if you first took a look at some facts.

You guys get upset that the bottom "47%" pay no taxes. Lets go ahead and keep trying to squeeze blood from a stone while guys like Rmoney skate.

For example:

Last edited by Buzz; 11-26-2012 at 08:27 AM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    If you are going to discuss this, it might help if you first took a look at some facts.

You guys get upset that the bottom "47%" pay no taxes. Lets go ahead and keep trying to squeeze blood from a stone while guys like Rmoney skate.

For example:

So Buzz, if/when YOU take 100% of the wealth the top 10% have, what would it solve?
    Would it balance the budget?
    Would it pay off the debt?
    Would it pay to run the Federal Gov't?
    If so, for how long??

Just askin'..............
    Stan b & Elvis

As I read that, the top 5% holds 71% and the top 10% holds 82% of the national wealth. Perhaps carrying somewhat over 40% of the tax burden isn't so outrageous after all. That graphic looks like a recipe for real class warfare to me if it were more widely distributed.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Anybody else notice that the percentages of wealth actually add up to 102% in that graphic?
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Anybody else notice that the percentages of wealth actually add up to 102% in that graphic?
    Yeah, the devil is always in the details, ain't he??????
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post

Yes I noticed, and I assumed it was because the actual percentages not whole numbers but fractions, and that they were rounded up to the next whole number. For example 42.5% was probably rounded up to 43%.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Yes I noticed, and I assumed it was because the actual percentages not whole numbers but fractions, and that they were rounded up to the next whole number.
    Gee........glad UB didn't post this blatant inaccuracy.
    It is always dangerous to ASSUME!!!
    Last edited by road kill; 11-26-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Gee........glad UB didn't post this blatant inaccuracy.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Gee........glad UB didn't post it.
    Huge difference. UB frequently posts things that are completely made up and incorrect at their core. What some would call a bald faced LIE
    You are going to compare that to a ROUNDING ERROR?
    I was taught in grade school that rounding fractions up or down was acceptable for ease of reference and other purposes. Sometimes that can result in the sum of the parts being greater or lesser than the whole. 102% is well within the realm of possibility with a graph with this many segments

UB on the other hand posts stuff that insults your intelligence it is so whacky.
    For instance if he posted up a graph like this it would have some ridiculous premise such as the top wage earners or taxpayers only have1% of the wealth, while they carry 50% of the tax burden. Or if he had a "rounding error" it may make the sum of the parts equal 300 or 400% of the whole

Now if you have some info of substance that says the figures quoted in this chart are grossly inaccurate please share those figures and your sources with us

I wont be holding my breath for you to make any post with substantive knowledge or information, because past experience with you shows that that really ISNT HOW YOU ROLL!!

just sayin.........