The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limber tail

Default Limber tail

Here we go again,just like last yr.First day of hunting with some skim ice and dog gets limber tail.Same thing happened last yr occasionally. This dog is trained hard for field trials during trial seasonso it is not a matter of conditioning.Anyone have soluton besides rest and antiinflammatories.Any longterm solution that works?
    nting

Do you try giving anti-inflammatories at the start of the day, before you start to hunt? Also a good idea to take some yourself before you start.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    Do you try giving anti-inflammatories at the start of the day, before you start to hunt? Also a good idea to take some yourself before you start.

My spouse co-authored and published the only scientifically based study on Limber Tail when she was at Auburn University.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10587253
    http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/limbertail.html

the entire article if anyone is interested
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...207.x/abstract

All of which is only relevant because (of the research) she would qualify as an expert witness. She does not believe that the administration of antiinflmmatories prior to a potential episode will prevent the injury but at least would intiate therapy early in the disease process.

Thank you EdA. I read the links to the abstracts. My suggestion was a guess at what might work and apparently it doesn't work.

I have only seen cold tail once with someone's golden in our training group. The owner did say that it had happened before and cleared up after several days. I watched his dog start out normal but just after a few retrieves developed the symptoms. He definitely looked like he was in pain.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Ask Janet if she thinks a botox injection would work.I was thinking of a yearrly botox injection before hunting season i.e. cold water,would work

I have a 1yo blm that has had cold tail twice this season, he is in good shape we work 5-6 days a week, and he runs hunt tests. Both times he has recovered in 2-3 days without any meds given, I have read a lot on RTF about treatment but haven't found much on prevention. So my question is are there any preventative measures I can take to help him with this situation? Thanks for any useful information offered.
    "Feetdown Beatdown Razr's Edge"

Quote Originally Posted by mooner1 View Post
    Ask Janet if she thinks a botox injection would work.I was thinking of a yearrly botox injection before hunting season i.e. cold water,would work
    It is important to understand that limber tail is injury to the coccygeal (tail) muscles which are contained in a fibrous sheath of connective tissue. When the tail muscles are injured they swell and the fibrous sheath contains the swelling creating a compartment syndrome which compromises the blood flow to the tail muscles. The only prevention is limiting exposure to the risk factors.

Botox prevents normal muscle contraction and could create a situation that might look like Limber Tail. A good example is female celebrities who have repetitive injections of Botox have parts of their face which do not move, e.g. Joan Rivers

I had my first experience with cold tail on our opening day this year .Since then I carry a Shamwow and dry her back end off after every retrieve,and keep a piece of the fast grass in her dog hut to help keep her seperated from the wet bottom of her blind.If things are slow I let her come out and sit right in front of her blind so I can give a quick kennel command if birds are seen,and unintentionally she is starting to go to her kennel as soon as she hears me blow the duck call because it is generally -kennel command ,then blow duck call.

If there is a lot of down time in between working groups of birds I dont put her immediately back in her blind so she has some time to air dry.

Just a few things I've tried. Also I'm more aware of the problem as it looks uncomfortable for her and kept us from hunting for the following several days which was uncomfortable for me.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    I had my first experience with cold tail on our opening day this year .Since then I carry a Shamwow and dry her back end off after every retrieve,and keep a piece of the fast grass in her dog hut to help keep her seperated from the wet bottom of her blind.If things are slow I let her come out and sit right in front of her blind so I can give a quick kennel command if birds are seen,and unintentionally she is starting to go to her kennel as soon as she hears me blow the duck call because it is generally -kennel command ,then blow duck call.

If there is a lot of down time in between working groups of birds I dont put her immediately back in her blind so she has some time to air dry.

Just a few things I've tried. Also I'm more aware of the problem as it looks uncomfortable for her and kept us from hunting for the following several days which was uncomfortable for me.
    Well done recognizing and taking steps to minimize the impact of the factors that contribute to the clinical syndrome, you will undoubtedly be rewarded for your efforts with a happy wagging tail held high.

BOTOX® contains a protein complex purified from the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. A component of this complex,
    Botulinum Toxin Type A is the important active ingredient. Type A is one of the seven distinct botulinum toxins produced
    by different strains of the bacterium. BOTOX® decreases muscle activity by blocking overactive nerve impulses that trigger
    excessive muscle contractions or glandular activity.i In addition, BOTOX® is believed to reduce neck pain associated with
    cervical dystonia through a temporary reduction in muscle activity and possibly through its influence on the pain sensory
    system (e.g., inhibiting the release of neurotransmitters involved in the transmission of painful sensations), although the
    exact mechanism of action is unknown. I thought it would help muscle contractions which would prevent swelling and possible pain reduction.This dog has alot of potential in the trial game but this cold water stimulus has happened repeatly.