The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Veterans

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,072

    Default Veterans

    Read today that only 1 in 100 of our citizenry has served - does that number sound correct & if so, should the country consider renewing the draft? Possibly if more people served the politico's would not be so anxious to commit the lives of the nations young! Especially, if they knew that young person might be a member of their family as it was during my younger years. No deferments in our county!!!!!!!!!!!
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    new london, wi
    Posts
    632

    Default

    I would like to see everyone do a minimum mandatory assignment in the military. No getting out of it. There are a lot of other countries that have this requirement.

  3. #3
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,093

    Default

    the draft ended the year before I became eligible...I remember the days of watching the draft dates with my mom, wondering which one of her sons would go..ironically, two of my brothers enlisted,one Army,one the Marines...I just cant see the country ever going back to it, because groups like the ACLU would argue that its discriminatory,and then do you now add the female element to the equation...mixed feelings about it..would need much more thought
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  4. #4
    Senior Member Jason Glavich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    woodbridge,VA
    Posts
    1,944

    Default

    1 percent sounds about right for those who have served.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

    ~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Read today that only 1 in 100 of our citizenry has served - does that number sound correct & if so, should the country consider renewing the draft? Possibly if more people served the politico's would not be so anxious to commit the lives of the nations young! Especially, if they knew that young person might be a member of their family as it was during my younger years. No deferments in our county!!!!!!!!!!!

    I would agree that politicos wouldn't be nearly as eager to cave to the Military Industrial Complex and put our soldiers in peril if some of those whose life they risk were their own flesh and blood. I'd go one step further than no deferrments for politico relatives by requiring that their relatives be assigned to the front lines at the start of any conflict.

    W may not have started two senseless wars if precious little twin daughters Jenna & Barbara were on the front lines.

    Save your shocked indignation posts asking if I may be implying that George W & Mr Cheney{ the greatest patriots some of you know,} was a little careless and may have ulterior motives with our foreign policy.
    That is exactly what I am saying

    It seems to me that it is usually not the military folks that are front and center with sword rattling whenever any possible military conflict arises.

    It made me sick to see that little weasel Carl Rove smear the reputations of decorated war veterans like John Kerry, Max Cleland & others and imply they werent patriotic because they didnt back his ill concieved war plans. Or to reveal the identity of a CIA agent like Valerie Plame because her husband had the guts to poke holes in their made up WMD intelligence.

    Carl Rove, W and their ilk wouldn't make a pimple on a real soldiers ass. They can choke on their "Freedom Fries" for all I care

  6. #6
    Senior Member Dustin D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA (Area)
    Posts
    1,777

    Default

    I think the Military is good for young folks but only b/c it mainly seems to do now what so many parents aren't willing to do.

    Slap them upside the head @ 17 and say ENOUGH! Get you shit together, here's how, now don't let me down, GO!

    So many parents these days want their kids to go to school or learn a trade, but allow them to screw off from Middle School to High School, then stumble into College where they barely get by. It’s as if it's a RACE to get them out of the house and on their own, but there's been no REAL preparation to do so.

    The Military does all that and does so pretty good.
    Teaches them discipline, responsibility and confidence and the value of themselves and their choices as well as how to survive from here on out.

    This is something parents used to do.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smillerdvm View Post
    It made me sick to see that little weasel Carl Rove smear the reputations of decorated war veterans like John Kerry, Max Cleland & others and imply they werent patriotic because they didnt back his ill concieved war plans. Or to reveal the identity of a CIA agent like Valerie Plame because her husband had the guts to poke holes in their made up WMD intelligence.

    Carl Rove, W and their ilk wouldn't make a pimple on a real soldiers ass. They can choke on their "Freedom Fries" for all I care
    Some questions - R U a vet? R U really a dvm? Have you ever flown a jet? Karl's had his come uppance, his brand did not sell well in the last campaign, folks will probably be more careful where they invest their dollars to insure a meaningful return .
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  8. #8
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    the draft ended the year before I became eligible...I remember the days of watching the draft dates with my mom, wondering which one of her sons would go..ironically, two of my brothers enlisted,one Army,one the Marines...I just cant see the country ever going back to it, because groups like the ACLU would argue that its discriminatory,and then do you now add the female element to the equation...mixed feelings about it..would need much more thought
    As to the females, absolutely! We wing female pilots all the time at NAS Corpus Christi; navy & marine, flying P3 Orions, C130 Hercs, and we have recently winged one or two headed for the MC-22 Osprey.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member HarryWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    I'm for the draft, even when I was 1A. It helps you make decisions. I enlisted in the Navy. HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

    See ya in the field. HPW

  10. #10
    Senior Member duckheads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smillerdvm View Post
    I would agree that politicos wouldn't be nearly as eager to cave to the Military Industrial Complex and put our soldiers in peril if some of those whose life they risk were their own flesh and blood. I'd go one step further than no deferrments for politico relatives by requiring that their relatives be assigned to the front lines at the start of any conflict.

    W may not have started two senseless wars if precious little twin daughters Jenna & Barbara were on the front lines.

    Save your shocked indignation posts asking if I may be implying that George W & Mr Cheney{ the greatest patriots some of you know,} was a little careless and may have ulterior motives with our foreign policy.
    That is exactly what I am saying

    It seems to me that it is usually not the military folks that are front and center with sword rattling whenever any possible military conflict arises.

    It made me sick to see that little weasel Carl Rove smear the reputations of decorated war veterans like John Kerry, Max Cleland & others and imply they werent patriotic because they didnt back his ill concieved war plans. Or to reveal the identity of a CIA agent like Valerie Plame because her husband had the guts to poke holes in their made up WMD intelligence.

    Carl Rove, W and their ilk wouldn't make a pimple on a real soldiers ass. They can choke on their "Freedom Fries" for all I care
    And sweet Valerie was never a covert agent!

    i edited my post but I am already quoted so it's to late. I have no right to question a man that served our country let alone during war.

    Funny how you left wingnuts harbor such hatred!
    Last edited by duckheads; 11-26-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •