The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veterans

Default Veterans

Read today that only 1 in 100 of our citizenry has served - does that number sound correct & if so, should the country consider renewing the draft? Possibly if more people served the politico's would not be so anxious to commit the lives of the nations young! Especially, if they knew that young person might be a member of their family as it was during my younger years. No deferments in our county!!!!!!!!!!!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Banned

I would like to see everyone do a minimum mandatory assignment in the military. No getting out of it. There are a lot of other countries that have this requirement.

the draft ended the year before I became eligible...I remember the days of watching the draft dates with my mom, wondering which one of her sons would go..ironically, two of my brothers enlisted,one Army,one the Marines...I just cant see the country ever going back to it, because groups like the ACLU would argue that its discriminatory,and then do you now add the female element to the equation...mixed feelings about it..would need much more thought
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

1 percent sounds about right for those who have served.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Read today that only 1 in 100 of our citizenry has served - does that number sound correct & if so, should the country consider renewing the draft? Possibly if more people served the politico's would not be so anxious to commit the lives of the nations young! Especially, if they knew that young person might be a member of their family as it was during my younger years. No deferments in our county!!!!!!!!!!!

I would agree that politicos wouldn't be nearly as eager to cave to the Military Industrial Complex and put our soldiers in peril if some of those whose life they risk were their own flesh and blood. I'd go one step further than no deferrments for politico relatives by requiring that their relatives be assigned to the front lines at the start of any conflict.

W may not have started two senseless wars if precious little twin daughters Jenna & Barbara were on the front lines.

Save your shocked indignation posts asking if I may be implying that George W & Mr Cheney{ the greatest patriots some of you know,} was a little careless and may have ulterior motives with our foreign policy.
    That is exactly what I am saying

It seems to me that it is usually not the military folks that are front and center with sword rattling whenever any possible military conflict arises.

It made me sick to see that little weasel Carl Rove smear the reputations of decorated war veterans like John Kerry, Max Cleland & others and imply they werent patriotic because they didnt back his ill concieved war plans. Or to reveal the identity of a CIA agent like Valerie Plame because her husband had the guts to poke holes in their made up WMD intelligence.

Carl Rove, W and their ilk wouldn't make a pimple on a real soldiers ass. They can choke on their "Freedom Fries" for all I care

I think the Military is good for young folks but only b/c it mainly seems to do now what so many parents aren't willing to do.

Slap them upside the head @ 17 and say ENOUGH! Get you shit together, here's how, now don't let me down, GO!

So many parents these days want their kids to go to school or learn a trade, but allow them to screw off from Middle School to High School, then stumble into College where they barely get by. It’s as if it's a RACE to get them out of the house and on their own, but there's been no REAL preparation to do so.

The Military does all that and does so pretty good.
    Teaches them discipline, responsibility and confidence and the value of themselves and their choices as well as how to survive from here on out.

This is something parents used to do.

Quote Originally Posted by smillerdvm View Post
    It made me sick to see that little weasel Carl Rove smear the reputations of decorated war veterans like John Kerry, Max Cleland & others and imply they werent patriotic because they didnt back his ill concieved war plans. Or to reveal the identity of a CIA agent like Valerie Plame because her husband had the guts to poke holes in their made up WMD intelligence.

Carl Rove, W and their ilk wouldn't make a pimple on a real soldiers ass. They can choke on their "Freedom Fries" for all I care
    Some questions - R U a vet? R U really a dvm? Have you ever flown a jet? Karl's had his come uppance, his brand did not sell well in the last campaign, folks will probably be more careful where they invest their dollars to insure a meaningful return .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    the draft ended the year before I became eligible...I remember the days of watching the draft dates with my mom, wondering which one of her sons would go..ironically, two of my brothers enlisted,one Army,one the Marines...I just cant see the country ever going back to it, because groups like the ACLU would argue that its discriminatory,and then do you now add the female element to the equation...mixed feelings about it..would need much more thought
    As to the females, absolutely! We wing female pilots all the time at NAS Corpus Christi; navy & marine, flying P3 Orions, C130 Hercs, and we have recently winged one or two headed for the MC-22 Osprey.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I'm for the draft, even when I was 1A. It helps you make decisions. I enlisted in the Navy. HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW

Quote Originally Posted by smillerdvm View Post
    I would agree that politicos wouldn't be nearly as eager to cave to the Military Industrial Complex and put our soldiers in peril if some of those whose life they risk were their own flesh and blood. I'd go one step further than no deferrments for politico relatives by requiring that their relatives be assigned to the front lines at the start of any conflict.

W may not have started two senseless wars if precious little twin daughters Jenna & Barbara were on the front lines.

Save your shocked indignation posts asking if I may be implying that George W & Mr Cheney{ the greatest patriots some of you know,} was a little careless and may have ulterior motives with our foreign policy.
    That is exactly what I am saying

It seems to me that it is usually not the military folks that are front and center with sword rattling whenever any possible military conflict arises.

And sweet Valerie was never a covert agent!

i edited my post but I am already quoted so it's to late. I have no right to question a man that served our country let alone during war.

Funny how you left wingnuts harbor such hatred!
    Last edited by duckheads; 11-26-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl