The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunt Test Time Management

From a judging stand point you need to be mindful of parking, entry, and exit from the test area. Try not to have a whole lot of moving around at the line. If you hav ea BIG entry test and it takes 30 seconds per dog to move from a marking line to a blind line you're gonna waste a lot of time just moving the dog from line to line. If you have to wait on vehicles entering and exiting the test area and disrupting the test then you're gonna waste bunch more time on that. These little things add up quickly if you have to multiply 30 seconds to a minute per dog and you have 55 dogs! Long swims for no real apparent reason. If you don't need'em don't use'em, other wise your just watching dogs swim all day long. As far as BIG entries go be mindful of how much time it takes one dog to complete a test. You may have a very good test but simply takes too long to complete it. Save those setups for weekends when the entries are lower and you have time to play! I'm not saying test up test to drop dogs. Just be mindful of the time concumption each setup requires.

And a good well trained marshal are worth their weight in gold!
    Keep the shotgun barrel warm & the dog's feet wet. www.stricklandskennels.com

Senior Member Elliott Labradors's Avatar

Thanks folks, you've had some thoughts that I would like to implement in future events. With cost to put on a test being driven up by cost I think we owe our entrants (customers) the most well run test that we possibly can.
    Here's to going home early without being dropped .

Wally
    Elliott's Amazing Grace Of Diamond E MH, CGC
    HRCH Elliott's Rockin' Roxy MH, CGC
    HR Elliott's Carolina Thorne MH, CGC
    Elliott's Dixie Lou MH
    Elliott's Carolina Duchess MH, CGC
    Elliott's Armbrook Go Tell It On The Mountain JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Lilly Of The Valley JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Set My Soul Afire JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Living By Faith JH

www.ElliottLabradors.com

America would be a different place at sundown if we all started with a devotion at sunup! Wally Elliott

Wally...if you ever decide to leave the Firefighter Equipment business, I think you could probably become a professional Hunt Test Facilitator! I always enjoy working with you during our CRA tests!
    My Girls...
    Duckback's Lord Have Mercy, MH 8/07
    Duckback Armbrook's Indigo Pearl, SH 10/10

You should let Bubba and I judge for ya. Its always beer thirty somewhere...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Senior Member Elliott Labradors's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    You should let Bubba and I judge for ya. Its always beer thirty somewhere...

/Paul
    Paul, If you guys came over here and got a dose of our Chicken Bog, local frog legs, home grown boiled peanuts, and southern hospitality you may never make it back to the left coast. This is the true south........little boys in overalls saying Yes Sir and No Sir !

Wally
    Last edited by Elliott Labradors; 11-30-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: sp.
    Elliott's Amazing Grace Of Diamond E MH, CGC
    HRCH Elliott's Rockin' Roxy MH, CGC
    HR Elliott's Carolina Thorne MH, CGC
    Elliott's Dixie Lou MH
    Elliott's Carolina Duchess MH, CGC
    Elliott's Armbrook Go Tell It On The Mountain JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Lilly Of The Valley JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Set My Soul Afire JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Living By Faith JH

www.ElliottLabradors.com

America would be a different place at sundown if we all started with a devotion at sunup! Wally Elliott

Wally I hear you guys throw birds all over the place! Sorry I missed your test. John said you all did a great job.
    Warre
    w. price

You know,
    All of the above are great points. I agree with all. Well, the stopping for lunch part I personally I have only scene at very small club tests and while I have carried an outhouse, I have never been carried to an outhouse. Some may read some as just common scents. Yet many think that has gone bye the way. I do agree, the ability of the marshal to do a good job is gold worthy. And while judges get a gift or a round of applause not many folk thank a marshal. That said, the very best marshal on earth is still just a herder of cats.
    Some of the responsibility of the smooth flow of the event must fall on the cat being herded.
    1 Be on time, early even.
    2 Check in with somebody. ( and that “I’ve been here for 40 minutes, didn’t you see me?” line doesn’t fly. No Chuck Weasel, I didn’t see you I have been loading these bird crates on the 4-wheeler.)
    3 in the 30 minutes of semi organized chaos before a test starts. Lend a hand, lift that barge, tote that bale!
    4 KNOW YOUR RUNNING ORDERS!!… If you’re running at multiple locations have a plan. Take it upon yourself to make sure BOTH stake marshals know. Take it upon yourself to know how to get too and fro. Know what test you will see test dog at and plan arriving early at the other to view dogs running that test.
    5 Air your dogs, A lot! Don’t let the dogs feet hit the ground for the first time of the day 5 minutes before the first run.
    6 Don’t wait for the marshal to tell YOU! Take it upon yourself to know what the handler at least 4 dogs ahead of you looks like. Start getting set.
    7 TRAIN YOUR DOG AT HOME!
    Yes you need to have standards at the line. Yes you have dropped your $80 and you own that mat. It’s bought and paid for and for those ten minutes the marshal and the bird boys and the Live Guns and the Judges are working for YOU. Yes you should never ever feel rushed. Take your time and run your dog right. We are all here, right now at this moment for you and your dog.
    BUT…..
    TRAIN YOUR DOG AT HOME!
    8 Thank the Judges please.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin