The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Boat?

Default Duck Boat?

Whats everyones opinion on what brand of duck boat to get. How long and wide, motors.... long tail mud motor or surface drive.
    I have a 14' but it's narrow and why my chessy leans to the side, we almost take on water. I looked at a beavertail and really liked it until I seen the price tag.

13' Boston Whaler and a gallon of green duck boat paint. Outfit with a 40hp and you can haul as much as you can fit into the boat. Three guys lean to one side and won't tip it over. Draws about 4" of water if you get out of the boat. Will take a beating and is easily repairable. I've run mine in Rivers for years and just now am due to fix the holes but, it still floats so they aren't really a priority.

South Bay duckboat. It's low profile and stable. Get the grassboards and spray dodger with it. I have seen them run with 2hp up to 15 hp.but I don't remember the motor it's rated for.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I'm fairly new to duck boats/mud motors etc.....but I'm Building up a duck boat too. Here in Utah I need a shallow water boat that's somewhat light, not huge, and able to carry myself, dog and gear. I'll be running an Alumacraft 1650 all-weld jon boat with a go devil 23 hp longtail on it. The Mud buddy factory is 40 minutes from my house, but it looks like they are getting away from longtails (they don't have as many longtail models as they use too) and is going mainly to surface drives. Surface drives are nice, but are out of my budget and most of the marshes here are too shallow for all outboards. I'm going with go devil since they have plenty of longtail motor options and there is dealer here in Utah.

These aren't for everybody, but if you like building things yourself and have a little room in your garage for a months long project, Devlin Designs (Sam Devlin) has about a dozen different duck boat plans from a small one man boat up to an 18 footer. I have built two, the one shown below is at the larger end of the scale, 15'-4" LOA by 6'-0" beam , it draws 5 1/2" fully loaded, maybe 4" if we get out of the boat to pull it through shallow areas. . I love it, it is rock steady at high speed, very roomy, hides well and is easy to shoot out of.

This is my buddy's Devlin "Snow Goose", a little bigger than my boat. I showed it so you can see how we hide the boat in the cattails.

My boat up against some old tree stumps...
    Last edited by John Robinson; 11-27-2012 at 10:40 AM.

I love the Lowe Roughneck, 16ft but I am looking for bigger.

I have a 1744 Gator Trax with a 35hp MudBuddy surface drive with aftermarket carburetor and exhaust. The boat is a tank, extremely well built and stable. We hunt 2 people and 2 dogs out of it with no problem. With two people, dog, decoys and other assorted gear it runs 27 mph.

Ron Bankes Dominator is the king of the 15ft Class Duck boat.

Attachment 9805
    I have a 2072 Sea Ark. we hunt the Delaware River area. Have been caught in 50 MPH winds in this boat. It is very stable.
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie

Quote Originally Posted by PMG 131 View Post
    I love the Lowe Roughneck, 16ft but I am looking for bigger.
    I have the 1860, love the boat
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX