The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duck Boat?

I have a Tracker Grizzly 1860 with a Gooseview DuckBlind 2 blind (no longer in business?). Works great, stable, safe in bad weather. Fits 3 comfortable for hunting, 4-5 while fishing. Lower cost than the War Eagle.

I will be hunting the Horicon marsh, and the mississippi river and going to devils lake N.D. it will be me and two friends in the boat and my 100 lb Chessie.

John here is the pic of the boat I built

SNEAKBOAT.JPG
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Nilsson View Post
    John here is the pic of the boat I built

SNEAKBOAT.JPG
    Very nice. I don't see oar locks, do you use a little motor? How big? Do you hunt it with a dog?How shallow can you go? I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dangers View Post
    I will be hunting the Horicon marsh, and the mississippi river and going to devils lake N.D. it will be me and two friends in the boat and my 100 lb Chessie.
    Do you have a budget?

Here is a picture of my 15 foot valco with a 30 hp Evinrude. It has been a fantastic boat and motor for 15 years. I sold it this summer, and I am not sure it was the right move for Ca Delta hunting. It was replaced with an 18 foot mud boat (Legend Craft) and a Mud Buddy motor---so far the rig has yet to be hunted. Could change next week with the Colusa weir predicted to spill. Kinda like a camper vs a trailer--tough to get the best of both worlds. Gotta make some choices.

John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Very nice. I don't see oar locks, do you use a little motor? How big? Do you hunt it with a dog?How shallow can you go? I want one.
    My sneakbox is very similar. I use either a paddle or type of pushpole locally called a "shovin' oar".
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Kayak paddle, I did set it up for a sm 5hp ob but it wasnt worth the hassle. It would draft at 3-4" easy. storage in rear and front for additional decoys and I had a backrest for it. I also made a hard cover for towing and storage. I think it weighed about 150#ish +-. Inside and out had a coat of resin with cloth and the seams were doubled up with a final coat of resin all over, sanded then painted. The custom gray I did for it made it disappear in the open water. I also had camo grass mats fitted for hunting in cattails or marsh grass. I did not hunt with a dog from it, didnt have one at the time....Fun times though!!!!

5,000 to 7,000 I really like the beavertail boats but out of my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    South Bay duckboat. It's low profile and stable. Get the grassboards and spray dodger with it. I have seen them run with 2hp up to 15 hp.but I don't remember the motor it's rated for.
    Those are nice boats, when I hunted Long Island I talked to a guy who had one there, I think he had a 10 hp or a 15 on the back. I was impressed with it