The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts / Opinions on Hips

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Still don't like the positioning...was these taken with or without sedation? He looks ever so slightly "twisted" too me.
    With sedation.

I'm not an expert but I don't like the left hip (right side of the picture) - I don't think there is enough coverage, the right looks good to me. But keep in mind I know nothing and am only basing my opinion on my very limited experience.

The lack of coverage could be due to the positioning? With a sedated dog and digital X-rays I'd expect a little better??
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

This opinion is worth what you're paying for it.

It looks like both heads are more than half covered with socket. Some vet, somewhere or other, told me that was what made a good hip.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    I'm not an expert but I don't like the left hip (right side of the picture) - I don't think there is enough coverage, the right looks good to me. But keep in mind I know nothing and am only basing my opinion on my very limited experience.

The lack of coverage could be due to the positioning? With a sedated dog and digital X-rays I'd expect a little better??

My thoughts exactly.

Banned

They look fine to me. The positioning also looks fine. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

But I am no expert.

WRL

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    They look fine to me. The positioning also looks fine. I don't think you have anything to worry about. But I am no expert.
    WRL
    I'm not an expert either but I agree. Positioning is not perfect but adequate, the pelvis is slightly rotated but that does not affect the overall appearance of the hip joints. The RR leg is slightly abducted but that does not affect the overall appearance of the hip joints. Sometimes perfect positioning is not attainable and I am a perfectionist. I really dislike posting on these threads because I like to hear what others have to say and generally my entrance into the discussion ends the discussion but it appears that this one's days are numbered anyway.

Note that the dorsal acetabular line is straight not concave. That line is the indicator of how much ball is covered by the socket. This is very good coverage and that is a good thing and the reason that slight malpositioning on this individual is inconsequential. At the worst these will be rated Good.

I'm not an expert either, but I'm 99.9% sure that the leg bone IS connected to the hip bone.
    Renee P

Good but I'd bet better, looks that the bone is well seated to me & tight in the socket, with nice coverage around the entire head of the femur, no jagged edges nor protrusion interfering around the joint. This is all based on what I can see on the screen, not the best way to look at it. What did the vet say? If they are familiar in OFA they can usually tell you exactly what they'll come back as. Trust me when I say you should really go to a vet-xray person very familiar with the OFA, particularly for elbows, most vet can do a passable job with hips, elbows not so much. I messed up greatly having my x-ray done by my home vet, who had no idea about OFA and ended up having to do everything twice. The right person taking the picture can really effect ratings. As the x-rays are already done, and probably sent in you'll just have to wait and see. but i don't see you having a problem
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-29-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Let us know how they turn out, I'm about to go through the same thing with my (first) dog.

I was reading up on the procedure, this you tube video is an eye-opener about the importance of hip positioning:

Renee P

Good - bad - or otherwise . . . no test result will change the way we treat our Chance! He is a loved and valued member of our family.

I appreciate the feedback both on the board and through private messages. Most of what I know I have learned from others, and I value the variety of opinions.

Again it is our first time waiting on results. Weird how you never care or worry about something until you have it checked.

I will post up the OFA results in a couple weeks.