The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

View Poll Results: Is it reasonable to believe a very-good Am trainer with a very-good dog can earn a field championshi

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is reasonable.

60 92.31%
  • No, that is unreasonable.

5 7.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POLL: FT Amateur Earning Championship without Pro?

Default POLL: FT Amateur Earning Championship without Pro?

Here is the gradiant, from lowest to highest: poor - fair - good - very-good - excellent.

Here is the question: Is it reasonable to believe a "very-good amateur trainer" with a "very-good dog" can earn a field championship without the aid of a professional?

Why or why not? Would it take only an "excellent trainer" with an "excellent dog" to do it without the pro?
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Just about everyone in the field trial game has used the aid of a pro to some degree. We have read their books, watched their tapes, attended their seminars, asked them informal questions, placed a dog to correct a problem or use them for full time training. It is just a matter of where you want to draw that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Canman
    Just about everyone in the field trial game has used the aid of a pro to some degree. . . .It is just a matter of where you want to draw that line.
    The line I was intending to draw is at where the pro directly assists in the training and/or handling.

Not indirectly.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Default Re: POLL: FT Amateur Earning Championship without Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs
    Here is the gradiant, from lowest to highest: poor - fair - good - very-good - excellent.

Here is the question: Is it reasonable to believe a "very-good amateur trainer" with a "very-good dog" can earn a field championship without the aid of a professional?

Why or why not? Would it take only an "excellent trainer" with an "excellent dog" to do it without the pro?
    Boy, can his be read many ways. Take a case of a good pro who decides to go amateur. Doesn't accept any client dogs for a year or derive any monetary benefit from his training group, etc. Yes this amateur could probably do it with ease.

Could an amateur who has put multiple titles on dogs with the aid of a pro take a new dog to a title without the aid of a pro. Probably!

Can an amateur fresh out of the qual or from the hunt test game take a dog to a title with out any pro help. Well if they were in the training groups of the 2 above maybe, if not, I'd doubt it.

TM

Banned

Default title

I voted yes, but with "conditions".

An AM. with his first dog, not having help, I doubt it. (that was me)
    A good am. trainer learns with each dog he/she trains, IMHO. Therefore, in time, I believe yes.

I think it's very possible and probably happens more often than we know. But in order to do it the Am needs a suitable background and ACCESS to grounds.

Jerry
    "Where The Hell Is Bedias, TX?"

I think it happens, but not all that frequently. One of the reasons we bought our field trial female was because she was out of a male who was trained and trialed like this. FC AFC Candlewoods Desert Storm MH with 138 AA points ran many Nationals, finished two, one open and one amateur. Stormy also won three double headers. I know Don had a lot of help along the way but he did all the training and trialing.

Right off the top of my head I'm coming up with Roy McFall and Len Ferucci. Then on this list there's Dr. and Mrs. Ed.

I don't know for sure but I believe Randy Bohn doesn't use a pro and what about Puff Daddy's owner, is it Franz Hertz? He like Randy Bohn is also on this list. (Sorry for not knowing exactly)

It's not only doable it's done! Ask Jack Volstadt or John Cavanaugh.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Williamsburg, MO, just behind Crane's Store

Yes, I do believe that is can be done, that is already has been done and that it will continue to be done.

Hey, who knows, I may be the next one to title my Winnie. No promises, no guarantees . . . but we're going to give it our best try.

I'll admit it - I'm competitive. That's why I run FTs. I ain't in this game for the "fun" of plopping down 100+ dollars every trial weekend just to get my butt kicked. I want those colored ribbons and blue is a very nice color!

Debbie

I want those colored ribbons and blue is a very nice color!
    Ditto, and if Future FC Whitewater Troublesome Jeri can't live up to my expectations then Future FC Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog will.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013