The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The best chaps ?

Default The best chaps ?

What does everyone use for upland and dog training? Price isnt a big deal, Filson, Cabelas' ect...
    Wizardrheas Roxtar MH (Roxie)
    Hibrass' She's Gotcha All Choked Up (Briley) Born 12/14/2013
    Sophie ( Bed Bug Detection Beagle)
    Mariah's Sunshine Tess (3-30-2000 / 8-10-2012) RIP Old Girl

This isn't a social event!!! Get a dog on the line!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Paye View Post
    What does everyone use for upland and dog training? Price isnt a big deal, Filson, Cabelas' ect...
    Rob--I have the Filson's. They come with some wax type stuff and it works. But, I would love to have some traditional western leather chaps.

Btw--the best "chaps" I have found are my father and stepfather. Good chaps indeed!
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Not Boyt! Hunting this weekend with a friend that bought two pairs for his sons.
    First time each used them the zippers broke. He's not happy!

Filson double tin, use a hair dryer to reapply wax for easier application.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Have you considered wearing the Filson's uplander pants, either the Single Tin or the Double Hunting pants...more comfortable and cooler than wearing chaps
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Filson double tins for sure
    Settyconstruction.com

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Have you considered wearing the Filson's uplander pants, either the Single Tin or the Double Hunting pants...more comfortable and cooler than wearing chaps
    Thanks Bon, but in Wisconsin cooler is not better!!!!!! They would be great for early season though. Thank you
    Wizardrheas Roxtar MH (Roxie)
    Hibrass' She's Gotcha All Choked Up (Briley) Born 12/14/2013
    Sophie ( Bed Bug Detection Beagle)
    Mariah's Sunshine Tess (3-30-2000 / 8-10-2012) RIP Old Girl

This isn't a social event!!! Get a dog on the line!!

Ive had two pairs amongst many filson garments. My brothers friend was a production manager at filson and we used to go to the family and friends sale every year. 75% off on everything was nice. I just got a pair of the pants. Haven't worn them yet. My gripe on the chaps (although mine have been well used) is that they are stiff and noisy. Colder they get the stiffer they become. There are not any garments made which will outlast a filson. Worth the money. The heavy cotton shirts and their dressier shirts stand up to being washed a million times and come out looking great every time. My double packer jacket has seen a lot of work and abuse and still looks almost new. Same with my wool weekender.

Personally, though the Filson's are a great product and my son swears by them, I find them too stiff and heavy for working bird dogs all day in often heavy cover. Check out LLBean which have stood me well in briars, wet, etc. and they are very lightweight and flexible and dry quickly. Also Orvis makes a really nice pair that I would like for my next set.

I was sure this was going to be a swishy thread
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin