The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Point, Part 2

Default What's the Point, Part 2

Many dogs are trained and handled to a qualifying 1st or 2nd by a pro.

Every time I think about entering a Qual I look and see the Pros entered and think why brother.

The biggest battle cry one constantly hears about FT's is "getting new/young people invloved". The 2 quotes above come from the original "What's the point" thread. In my opinion, the 2 quotes above say a lot about that "cry" for new blood.

I respect the young dog trainers who run the minor stakes, please don't get me wrong, but I just don't understand why, as an owner, you would do this. The only reason that comes to mind is that the trial is in the South for a northern owner or the North for a southern owner.

Is there pressure when you run a minor stake? As a new owner/young blood to the sport you bet there is. However, there isn't a better place in the FT game to get your feet underneath you and gain control of your emotions than the minor stakes.

Don't sit on the side lines any longer. Get out there and play the game. Have fun, have failures as well that will make those successes all the more sweeter!!
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Hard to hit the ball if ya don't swing the bat, spot on Wade.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Not that I'm keeping score, but almost every placement I have had with my dogs, whether derby, qual or all age has been with me handling. The dedicated amateur with a talented dog has some advantages over a pro such as that team bonding thing, I wouldn't automatically assume you are at any disadvantage running against pros.

John
    Last edited by John Robinson; 11-28-2012 at 04:25 PM.

I've seen plenty of pros place behind amateurs in the minors. Even by newbies to field trials trying out their MH in the FT game.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

While that might be true, when an AM looks at the field and sees 1/3 to 1/2 the dogs pro handled (and getting 2-3 bites at the apple so to speak), it's a little overwhelming.
    Last edited by Thomas D; 11-28-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    Tom Dorroh

To the OP's question... Years ago I had a dog that won a Q as a derby dog. He was by no way, shape or form ready for all-age stakes. The following season I ran him in the Q and all-age. That year he finished all 6 Q's without ever winning one and spent most of the season going out on the land marks or land blind in the all- age. By the following year, he was placing in all-age stakes. He was 3 1/2 then. No way he would have benefitted from being pulled from the Q after that win as a derby dog.

That particular dog needed the work and confidence of going 4 series in a trial situation more than he or I needed the beating of being up with the big dogs every week at that stage of his career.
    Bill Davis

Another reason for a pro to run a dog in the "Q" is to place 1st or 2nd to be able for it to run one of the more restricted AA stakes.

QAA regards

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

I totally agree. Can't place if you don't play. While I train with a pro and have sent my dog on to the pro on short spurts, i.e. less than 4 months, only a couple of times I've done a lot on my own (with oversight). I've been able to finish 9 of 15 quals, with 2 firsts in that group. I've since been running all age and have a 1st and 2nd under my belt with a couple of jams. I was willing to run Q's to gain experience and get a feel for the type of competition I'd be facing. I'm here to tell you, nothing and I mean NOTHING feels better than to finish and place especially when the competition is tough. Is it easy?, no way, was it tough, absolutely but I love every minute of it and can't wait to get going again. Every time you go to the line it is a learning experience you can't duplicate in training.
    An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Hard to hit the ball if ya don't swing the bat, spot on Wade.
    Or as Wayne Gretsky might say “You will not place in 100% of the trials you do not enter.
    SouthFork Fly

I'm one of those Amateurs, nearly full blooded Amateur trained dog (only spent 1 winter down south) and the remainder all under my hand. He's never failed a Master test and in the past year and a half, we've placed or jammed every qualifying but one. Ran a couple Am's and didn't make it out of the first a couple times and was 1 cast away from making it to the 4th. I find it incredibly rewarding for what we've done considering the circumstances as well as this dog being my first competitive dog in trials.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH QAA (Shooter)