The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Point, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    While that might be true, when an AM looks at the field and sees 1/3 to 1/2 the dogs pro handled (and getting 2-3 bites at the apple so to speak), it's a little overwhelming.

But, oh so sweet when you win, especially in the Open!
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

But, oh so sweet when you win, especially in the Open!

X 2 what he said.....

Oh so sweet when that local kid beats the best!!
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

So why should one enter a FT, if most likely you are gone in the first series. might as well spend the money on a hunting trip, dog gets more flyers, and doesn't get dropped.

its simple, if you want more "players" you gotta let them play ! I doesn't take away anything from the dogs that place to let the newbees play. It is better for ALL. "You can't get your feet wet, if you don't make it to the water series."

The pros generally have very young dogs. If you are a good student of the game, then your older dog should have much success.

The purpose of a trial is to find a winner. NOTHING more. The judges just have to find a winner. They are not even obligated to give away any other placements. There is no obligation to "let you play" dogs no longer "in contention" should be dropped.

The reason for the trial is to evalute under a standard set of test which retriever best displays the working traits and qualities we would want to see in breeding stock.

So unless you wish to prove the merits of a retriever as potential breeding stock. Can accept the fact that the purpose of the event is to find the dog most capable on that weekend on those tests, run the trial. If NOT go hunting. That's really the short and simple of it. Once upon a time there were no hunt tests, no dock jumping, no SRS, no national pheasant open, no nothing but a AKC or a CKC Field Trial.

Personally I would like to go hunting. Not because of not playing, not winning or any other reason than for the most part I'm an introvert who enjoys being alone with my dog(s) and sleeping in my own bed rather than being at a trial.

Not intended as "RIP" just different perspective.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

So why don't more owners run the dogs instead of their pros?? derby thru opens? Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post
    So why don't more owners run the dogs instead of their pros?? derby thru opens? Randy
    That is my point Randy, EXACTLY. When you have nearly 60 dogs in the 2 minor stakes at a given trial and roughly 45-50 are handled by Pro's I think it speaks volumes to the battle cry of " new young people". If people aren't willing to run their own dogs when ever possible in those minor stakes what's the point? Where is the enjoyment of sitting on the sidelines watching when you could be on the field playing.
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by Brokengunz View Post
    So why should one enter a FT, if most likely you are gone in the first series. might as well spend the money on a hunting trip, dog gets more flyers, and doesn't get dropped.

its simple, if you want more "players" you gotta let them play ! I doesn't take away anything from the dogs that place to let the newbees play. It is better for ALL. "You can't get your feet wet, if you don't make it to the water series."
    You cant let them play if they don't pick up the chickens. Most Quals I judge or have watched are very generous with call backs. That being said if a new handler has the attitude they cant play with the pros they are beat before they come to the line.

My fondest FT memory so far is beating Farmer and Rorem in an open when they each had 6 bullets in the 4th. Talk about a rush. Also they other Am's at that trial went crazy with congrats at the news. Even some that I beat out their pro handled dog.

So get out there and just do it.

ps. Are not the majority of dogs in a master stake pro handled?
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    That is my point Randy, EXACTLY. When you have nearly 60 dogs in the 2 minor stakes at a given trial and roughly 45-50 are handled by Pro's I think it speaks volumes to the battle cry of " new young people". If people aren't willing to run their own dogs when ever possible in those minor stakes what's the point? Where is the enjoyment of sitting on the sidelines watching when you could be on the field playing.
    What would your advice be for someone who: 1) does not have appropriate training grounds for maybe 150 miles 2) wants to train/handle entirely on his own, no pro involved? I believe that here are quite a few who fit into this category.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    What would your advice be for someone who: 1) does not have appropriate training grounds for maybe 150 miles 2) wants to train/handle entirely on his own, no pro involved? I believe that here are quite a few who fit into this category.
    First get to those 150 mile away grounds as often as possible. Second get in with a good Am group. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know. I speak from experience on that subject. Next don't hate pros, if you have a good one close and can day train or just pick their brain do

The main thing is train smarter, learn what you and your dog are lacking and train for that. Most important, HAVE FUN!
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama