The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Point, Part 2

I am getting ready to step into FT's and it is intimidating for the Am that trains their own dog~100%. Thankfully I have some very good mentors and good support, that said I'm the one who has to make the committment to improve my handling, improve my training, be efficient and continue to learn. I, for one, am grateful for the minor stakes.

keep poor mouthin' gooser, we know you're gonna whip them free ridin' dogs at ms loveland's place one saturday soon!
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    I have seen Mike handle. He is by no means a great handler, but neither is he as poor as he claims. I think he needs to ditch the broken record, and put a new one on the player. It is my observation that when he sets his mind to something, he improves at it.
    And I totally agree too - first time Mike joined the group I wasn't sure if he knew which end to point toward the birds but now I think he just might know!

Mike listen to Ted - put on a different record....this one is getting old!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:

MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

DL said to me many years ago - get a mirror - full length - practice in front of that mirror - what you see is what the dog sees . Go to an OB show & watch the handlers, they are probably as a group close to the best, but they don't have the kind of dog we need to run field trials. Then watch the good pro's & some amateurs. You will improve. Never make an excuse, only strive to get better . But it helps to have a good dog beside you .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    keep poor mouthin' gooser, we know you're gonna whip them free ridin' dogs at ms loveland's place one saturday soon!

I don't need to bad mouth Mike, he does a good enough job of doing it himself
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I think the first step, is you have to realistically have the dog.

That takes Time and money commitment.

With the pup I have right now, I am devoting as much time as I possibly can with the dog. I train every day,following assignments for homework I recieve from a Pro I visit once a week.

Now, with all that said,, I am a realist also.. I am a Horrible handler. Idont think well underpressure, I know my limitations.

As a handler, I dont think I can step onto the field, and compeate with a Pro that has the experience of training and running dogs all the time.

My Goal is to have a well trained dog..
    Gooser

Gooser, I've been on here long enough to have seen this from you before too.

When I joined this forum I was JUST LIKE YOU. In many ways I probably still am. But, I did take my pup to the line in the Derby, got my arse handed to me a few times by both pros and am's alike. Training buddies said they could see me shaking, told me I could start breathing again afterward, etc. Gettin' my arse handed to me a few times was the best thing that ever happened to me in FT's. It didn't make me wanna give up, it made me more determined to succeed. I worked harder, found more training partners, learned, improved my dog. Now I'm a 4x 'veteran' of the Amateur stakes...still intimidating, yes. Am I a good handler...no. Can I get better...yes, and I am determined to do so. Trust me, if I can do it, you can do it.

Seems like I saw where you wrote on here once about wanting to beat Ted. Sounds like a goal to me. What is your first step going to be?
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

Poor Gooser, I bet when he crawled out of bed this morning he had no idea he was to be today's Internet football..

Quote Originally Posted by 8mmag View Post
    Gooser, I've been on here long enough to have seen this from you before too.

When I joined this forum I was JUST LIKE YOU. In many ways I probably still am. But, I did take my pup to the line in the Derby, got my arse handed to me a few times by both pros and am's alike. Training buddies said they could see me shaking, told me I could start breathing again afterward, etc. Gettin' my arse handed to me a few times was the best thing that ever happened to me in FT's. It didn't make me wanna give up, it made me more determined to succeed. I worked harder, found more training partners, learned, improved my dog. Now I'm a 4x 'veteran' of the Amateur stakes...still intimidating, yes. Am I a good handler...no. Can I get better...yes, and I am determined to do so. Trust me, if I can do it, you can do it.

Seems like I saw where you wrote on here once about wanting to beat Ted. Sounds like a goal to me. What is your first step going to be?

My first step, is getting a well trained dog.. I have my hands FULL!!!!!!!!! I'm not going to look forward to next weeks game... I have to concentrate very hard, on what Homework I have been given for the week..

When I get that well trained dog,, we will see what happens..

Lainee.... Do you remember last weekend and ROBO arm....??????

I was told to work on steady,, and the hand,,, and running my first blinds... EVERYDAY... Thats alll I am thinkin about..

I cannot believe I have so much trouble learning a routine, and dropping my hand in front of the dog... But as of today,, I think I have it..

I will beat Ted someday!!,,, Lainee Too,, Maontenrarieee too or how ever Ya spell it,,, Even that other guy with the clean truck..

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Poor Gooser, I bet when he crawled out of bed this morning he had no idea he was to be today's Internet football..

HAHAHAHA!!!!! Whats weird,,, I actually like it.!!!
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    "Poor Gooser" are you kidding, you all are making the goosers day! Probably spend all evening playing with bubbles.

My question though is, why in the world would you want to change anything about the gooser? Be like trying to improve on Halle Berry!
    Just for the record I have very fine dogs. Some of the best in the whole country....or at least on my own block anyhow.