The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Point, Part 2

Gooser, I have long gone by a saying I heard once...."If you think you can or you think you can't, you are right!" The dog I now own, I bought thinking I could have a gun dog for hunting. I had never been to or seen a field trial a couple years ago, but met some field trialers. My dog is now QAA at 3 and I am testing my saying above, because I am thinking AFC or even FC is in my future. Good luck to you, but as others have said, raise your goals!

Well Gooser I think it's fine that all you want is a good hunting dog. I also think that a MH or HRCH is a hellava accomplishment and a very very worthwhile goal. I guess that's just me though.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

Quote Originally Posted by wetdog View Post
    Gooser, I have long gone by a saying I heard once...."If you think you can or you think you can't, you are right!" The dog I now own, I bought thinking I could have a gun dog for hunting. I had never been to or seen a field trial a couple years ago, but met some field trialers. My dog is now QAA at 3 and I am testing my saying above, because I am thinking AFC or even FC is in my future. Good luck to you, but as others have said, raise your goals!
    Hey Dave is that you? If so just remember it's Abbey not you and yes she is a very nice dog.See you in the Ams this spring.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Quote Originally Posted by Socks View Post
    Well Gooser I think it's fine that all you want is a good hunting dog. I also think that a MH or HRCH is a hellava accomplishment and a very very worthwhile goal. I guess that's just me though.

I want to be sure that there is no confusion about my previous posts.

First, I don't think that any of us need to force competitive venues on anyone else. There is nothing wrong with not enjoying competition, any more than there is something wrong with enjoying competition. As long as you are having fun with your dog(s), who cares?

Second, when it comes to Mike (MooserGooser), I am not telling him that he should compete, or that he is wrong in not wanting to compete. I am simply saying I am tired of hearing him whine - both on RTF and in person - about his alleged short-comings. I don't think that those short comings are present. But, if they were, I would tell him - and anyone else - either fix it or stop complaining about it. I despise whining.

Third, I am not much into the "this person is better than that person" stuff we get so frequently on RTF

Suppose
    Person A trains and handles his dog
    Person B has a pro train his dog, but handles it in competition
    Person C has a pro train and handle his dog

Why is any person better than the other?

For my own selfish reasons, I would like to have more owners run their dogs, because I believe - perhaps wrongly - that the more people did so, the more people we would have working at, judging, and putting on trials - which I think is good.

Ted

Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Bunch of cry babies.
    If you want it bad enough, go get it.
    Field trials are a competition, with only 1 winner.
    When enough old guys die off, doors open for new blood. The cycle continues.
    Don't whine that you can't compete against the pros, there are too many that do.
    You had better learn to accept failure, while committing to improve. Otherwise consider an adult FFPS league.

My Goal is to have a well trained dog..
    Gooser[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. You have to to far to get payback and that is not my drive anyways. I do it because I want a kick ass hunting dog that everyone wants to invite me on their trips. When I do a FT and my dog makes a call back "win win". One of these times we will beat them. Kind of like beating the NY Yankees.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Believe me, when you finish your first all age it'll be damn near as good as sex and when you win one.... Well, not really better if I recall correctly.
    You do get a blue ribbon for winning an open though.....
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Believe me, when you finish your first all age it'll be damn near as good as sex and when you win one.... Well, not really better if I recall correctly.
    Howard, I said earlier that I remembered your first open win... but I didn't see this part of your post. Now I know why you were so damn happy and blubbering incoherently

But was that before or after the trial?
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    You do get a blue ribbon for winning an open though.....
    A field trial too!
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Littlejohn View Post
    Bunch of cry babies.
    If you want it bad enough, go get it.
    Field trials are a competition, with only 1 winner.
    When enough old guys die off, doors open for new blood. The cycle continues.
    Don't whine that you can't compete against the pros, there are too many that do.
    You had better learn to accept failure, while committing to improve. Otherwise consider an adult FFPS league.
    What an inviting intro to the FT game. Sort of like letting the newbies here know right up front that they need thick skin to enjoy the forum, because they are going to be treated rudely.
    I am so sick and tired of this attitude that it has pretty well stolen the joy. I'll just have fun working my dogs when and where I can. After all, they are why I do it.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com